We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any museum or attractions close late

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
677 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Any museum or attractions close late

I will only have a whole afternoon and evening in Asmterdam. I notcied many museum close around 6 pm or 7 pm. Anyone know any museum or attractions close late? I will try to visit as many as I can. The day I visit is on Saturday in Sept.

Thanks a lot!

Jewish Quarter Anne Frank Walking...
267 Reviews
from US$ 27.80*
Free Cancellation
Amsterdam City Canal Cruise
133 Reviews
from US$ 17.80*
Free Cancellation
Special Offer
Amsterdam Super Saver: Xtracold...
270 Reviews
from US$ 32.60*
US$ 39.10
Free Cancellation
Chicago
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

Anne Frank House is open until 10PM on Saturdays.

S

Mentioned in this post
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
52,521 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

Book in advance so you don't have to waste time in line.

annefrank.org/en/…

Edited: 15 August 2013, 20:39
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

14 september is Open Monumentendag (Heritage day) with 60 monuments open for free, not late but worth seeing something if you can. Programme available from end of August.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

It's not an official attraction but the view from SkyLounge bar in DoubleTree Hilton hotel is spectacular. As are the drinks prices. Just take an elevator up to the 11th floor and go have one overpriced drink after the museums close.

There are also evening cruises with canal boats, check the various companies to see until what time they run. (Try Blue Boat, Kooij, Plas) iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…canal-cruising

Another non-official attraction is Tuschinski cinema, the entrance hall is quite a sight of art deco mixed with other styles and was renovated about a decade ago. If a nice movie is playing on screen #1, that theatre hall is also amazing (the other rooms are not so special). But check your shoes for mice before putting them back on (in case you took them off), and don't put your popcorn basket on the floor. :-)

Another very nice cinema that is a sight in itself is De Uitkijk on Prinsengracht, it consists of one (not very big) screen, a tiny bar area, some seating below, and some seating upstairs which hardly anyone knows about (I recommend upstairs!). The seats are old and rickety but that's all part of the charm.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 15 August 2013, 21:15
Mentioned in this post
SkyLounge
SkyLounge
1,737 Reviews
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
502 Reviews
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

Friday nights at the Van Gogh, if that's your date.

http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/vrijdagavond

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Van Gogh
Hotel Van Gogh
1,012 Reviews
liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

House of Bols is open until 8pm on Saturdays, if that is of interest, the ideas from Cecile of the evening boat tours and the Bar at the Doubletree are very good ones, and also, the infamous rld - that doesnt close till about 4am, and is somewhere to see at night. (Casa Rosso, Moulin Rouge and Banana Bar dont open till about 8pm and go on till about 1 or even 2am - again, if thats of interest).

Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Casa Rosso
Casa Rosso
566 Reviews
Moulin Rouge
Moulin Rouge
308 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
677 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

The date of my visit is Sept 14 on Saturday, so Van Gogh Museum closed at regular hour that day.

Mentioned in this post
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
53,047 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
677 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

I checked the site about Open Monumentendag (Heritage day), but I didn't find the list of important buildings, monuments and private homes. Anyone know what are open to the public? I'm wondering if any sites are included in Amsterdam Hollad Pass?

"The fourth 2013 edition of Amsterdam Heritage Days takes place on Saturday 14 and Sunday 15 September. Many important buildings, monuments and private homes will cast open their doors to the public, all free of charge. This special weekend focuses on the magnificent history of Amsterdam’s canals as part of the national theme ‘Power & Glory’. Over the two days, around 60 buildings and monuments will be open to the public, with many extra activities taking place around them"

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

The list of participating monuments for Open Monumentendag will be published later, off the top of my head after 26th August.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any museum or attractions close late

Most of the coffeeshops will also be open.