We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

Is it possible to rent a car at or near the Amsterdam-Schiphol airport and then drop it off in the Amsterdam city center?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

I guess so, if you can find an agency that has offices in both places. They may charge extra for dropping it off in a different location.

Why would you want to do that though, instead of taking a taxi or a train?

And do you realize what a nightmare it is to drive a car in Amsterdam if you're not used to the chaos and hectics of converging and diverging lanes, bikes coming from all sides and ignoring traffic rules (but often having right of way too), trams and buses, speeding taxi drivers, one way streets? Just one of many examples... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqwDVaIbjbo

One solution if you really want to drop a car off in Amsterdam proper, could be to use an agency on the street called Overtoom, which is still quite a doable street just off the ring road (but make sure you use exit S106 only so as to avoid too much city traffic), and after dropping the car off there is good public transport into the very center.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 08 August 2013, 03:29
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

Thirty five years ago I would drive into downtown Amsterdam once a month and stay at the American Hotel. I wouldn't even begin to dream of doing that now as things have changed so much not the least of which is the bicycle situation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

I was thinking that we could pick up a car at the airport (we arrive at 9am), drive to the Koller-Muller Museum and the Openluchtmuseum and then drop the car off when we reach Amsterdam.

My husband has only the day that we arrive to sight see and I really, really want to visit the two museums with him.

He has driven in Amsterdam.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 04:09
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

Thank you for the suggestions!

I am not sure of a better way to get the two museums in, on the day that we arrive, but I would love some help figuring it out, if anyone has any ideas.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

Okay... in that case my advice still stands for an agency that has agencies in Schiphol as well as on Overtoom. http://goo.gl/maps/pvF5l

Check if Europcar or Avis have agencies at Schiphol. As close to the A10 ring road (the orange road in Google Maps) as possible will make life easier.

Or you could even drop it off at Schiphol and take a train (20 minutes) or bus (30 minutes) into Amsterdam.

I live in Amsterdam and sometimes drive a car when a bike is no option. I 'save the life' of at least one kamikaze cyclist or moped rider Every Single Time !! that I drive my car through Amsterdam, by anticipating, reading body language and hitting the breaks when they throw themselves in front of my car without looking and without having right of way (and/or them hitting a red light). So please avoid driving here if you can and be careful. Even if you have right of way, insurance companies will make you pay for hitting one of those kamikaze suicide cyclists.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 04:22
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

P.S. I don't know how hard it is to reach Kröller Muller by public transport or maybe even a taxi from Arnhem station for example. www.9292.nl/en can help you find info about the alternative: train from Schiphol to Arnhem (quick stop at Amsterdam Centraal to store your bags in a locker?), then buses or taxis, train back to Amsterdam....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

Thank you so much for your help Cecile!

Do you think that it sounds a little impossible?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,399 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

<Do you think that it sounds a little impossible?>

Are you coming in from Los Angeles?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

Good point Ddavis... Jet lag?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental from AMS with drop off in city center?

I think that it might be best to rent a car from the airport, drive to Kroller- Muller, then Openluchtmuseum and then back to the airport to turn in the rental car. Then find a way from the airport to our hotel.

Do you think that if we land at 9am we would have time to do both the Kroller Muller and the Openluchtmuseum (if traveling with the rental car). Or, should I save the Openluchtmuseum for another day and travel there by myself?