We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from airport with luggage?

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
164 posts
51 reviews
Bus from airport with luggage?

We have heard great things about saving money by taking the #197 bus from the airport. However we are traveling with one quite large piece of luggage (a duffle-type bag on wheels). Will we be able to get this onto the bus? Is there a space for it once its on? Those of you who have taken the bus, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience. Thank you.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,033 posts
229 reviews
1. Re: Bus from airport with luggage?

Hi there,

No problem. The bus has a larger space near the back entrance (big enough for e.g. two strollers), and the driver is more than willing to open those doors for you; e.g. person #1 goes to front and pays for 2 tickets and person #2 brings in the bag on the back entrance.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,515 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Bus from airport with luggage?

The bus is only any good if it goes near where you are staying which is where? To be honest there is not that much space on the bus and it can get quite crowded depending on the time of day but you should be ok out of peak hours.

I've taken the bus a few times and it can be busy. Thing is that Schiphol workers take it to the P40 parking lot where the staff car park is. After there it’s less busy so my secret strategy in busy times is to take one of the other busses to the P40 parking, get off and wait for the 197 there. Actually I think that might even be cheaper as the busses to the P40 are free. Additionally there is a nice heated waiting room there so if the weather is bad, even better. This means that you should be able to get on the 197 with your luggage and get a seat easier.

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
164 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Bus from airport with luggage?

Thank you both for your advice. We may decide to take a taxi, but not sure yet. What would a taxi cost? We're heading to the Hotel Fita in the Museum Quarter.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,515 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Bus from airport with luggage?

I didn't mean to put you off taking the bus, just that it can be busy. the Fita is only a stones throw from the Hobbemastraat stop at the back of the Rijksmuseum so the 197 is a good option.

If you do take a taxi it will be 40 euros approx. You could also take a train to Amsterdam Zuid and a taxi from the rank there. I live near the Museumplein and that's what I do if I have large bags (either luggage or under my eyes). Taxi from Zuid will be around 10 euros or so. train is 2,50 euros each so only 15 euros in total.

Zuid is a really small station so just a matter of coming down the elevator, go past Burger King and Starbuck and turn left and you will see the taxi rank.

Enjoy your stay.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,683 posts
5. Re: Bus from airport with luggage?

yes, those red buses have an open area in the back you can stand with your bags..

6. Re: Bus from airport with luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 09:47