We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

L.A.
Level Contributor
318 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

I cannot eat spices nor seasonings.

Is there anything I can eat at a Rijstafel restaurant? Plain rice and some meat or vegetables while my husband has a Rijstafel meal plate for one?

Thanks, cb

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

Others may know better, but I suspect that the simple answer is "no".

How do you eat at all, by the way? How do you avoid seasonings such as salt or a spice such as pepper?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

The essence of Indonesian food is seasoning and spices.

That said, I would try Sari Citra as they have such a wide assortment I feel you would be able to find something:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d2…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

Hmm... perhaps you have mis interrpreted the meaning of a rijstafel. It is meant to be shared. Here is the menu for one of the most popular places in Amsterdam Long Pura

restaurant-longpura.com/cms/…202013.pdf

If you call ahead maybe they can help you out with some fried chicken and chips or lompia (spring rolls)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

Grilled chicken and steamed rice?

You would think anyone could improvise that even if not on the menu as long as,they serve chicken.

Every time you think you have seen all the questions that could be asked you get another interesting one you never saw before.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 02:15
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

Like someone else said, the essence of rijsttafel (note the 2 t's in the spelling) is spices and seasonings. Without that, it won't be Indonesian food.

But you could try and find a restaurant that serves Indonesian food for your husband and other dishes as well.

I have never talked so much about rijsttafel as on this forum! I guess it is THE tourist thing to do / eat.... (and now I understand why Long Pura was full of foreigners).

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

L.A.
Level Contributor
318 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

It's not easy to eat out here in the USA, but many restaurants are very cooperative. Some are not. Salt is OK. Sometimes I have to settle for a plain salad and bread or rolls without seeds.

When I travel, I learn to say I am allergic to... in the language of the country. Thanks to Google Translate I also print it on a card.

Thanks to all, cb

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

Perhaps an Asian wok restaurant would be suitable for you. Normally you can choose your own meats, fish, vegetables etc. from a buffet; then go to the chefs and choose your sauce and seasoning; and they will wok / stirfry it for you. In your case you can ask for just a bit of salt and then for them to stirfry the veggies and everything for you. I personally think that vegetables are very tasty by themselves when stirfried (rather than boiled in water).

And that way your husband can have his food with all the spices, sauces and herbs he wants.

These are the wok (stirfry) restaurants in Amsterdam www.iens.nl/restaurant/amsterdam/wokken but you may need to read a bit more about them; whether it really works the way I described with a buffet and all that.

Perhaps typical Dutch (oldfashioned) food would work for you, we hardly eat it anymore ourselves but it never used to contain much seasoning apart from salt, maybe some pepper, maybe some nutmeg. Restaurant Moeders for example serves the traditional mashed veggies & potato dishes and is also a great place to go with nice decoration (pictures of mothers all over the place).

I think generally speaking, the more upscale the restaurant, the more knowledge of allergies (and creativity) you might expect the chefs to have. I know Restaurant Wilde Zwijnen can be creative; they have surprise menus and you can say what you don't want / are allergic to / don't like, and the chef will come up with a 3 course meal containing other things but very balanced and nice dishes.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited: 06 June 2013, 04:18
L.A.
Level Contributor
318 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

I'm not concerned about restaurants in general. It was more that everyone talks about rijsttafel so I thought he might like to try it.

cb

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

Okay, sorry for my unsolicited suggestions.

L.A.
Level Contributor
318 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rijstafel Meal Without Spices

No problem. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

I could keep you entertained for hours with stories of chefs who tell me that they will not serve their food without their sauces. Then, there is the Inn at Little Washington - one of the finest inns in the US - who printed for me a sub-menu with the items they could make that fit my needs. That was amazing.

cb