We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel & bike ride info

california
Level Contributor
127 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
hotel & bike ride info

my husband and i will have 1 day/night layover in Amsterdam in May. could any one recommend a hotel that is not to pricy? also, we'd like to take a bike ride during the day to see flower fields. ...is that even possible?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,796 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel & bike ride info

How do your define not to pricey?

A ball park budget would help.

Also any must haves? Such as a lift? Or are you OK with very steep stairs?

Bathroom and shower? Down the hall or in the room a must?

Edited: 18 April 2013, 22:33
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,796 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel & bike ride info

tripadvisor.com/…48636429

Now here is what I would do as far as a hotel.

It's a 195 page thread so you may just want to skim quickly the last 20 pages or so.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,332 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel & bike ride info

All hotels are pricey if you can't afford them.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel & bike ride info

hello travelingquilter, as you can see from the replies above , a known budget would be nice.

I assume bike ride through the tulip fields. Not likely in Amsterdam. You can go to the Keukenhof (see the top question at your right) and rent bikes for cycling through the tulip fields. In that case you would be better off staying at a hotel at the airport and forget about Amsterdam this time.

But it also depends on what date you are visiting in May. Keukenhof closes the 20th, not sure till when the tulip fields outside will be there.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,434 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
california
Level Contributor
127 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel & bike ride info

we are only there 1 night, so I wouldn't want the most expensive hotel in town. we would like a in room shower and toilet. maybe not more than $100 USD? not sure what hotels go for in Amsterdam.

i will look thru reviews.

we will be there on May 18th so will fields be open to bike thru? where is Keukenhof? can we get there on train? would that mean we would have to forget about a day in Amsterdam?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel & bike ride info

Go to the top right of the page and find Top Questions.

Find the articles called 'Can you suggest a cheap hotel' and 'Keukenhof'.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel & bike ride info

I think May 18 might be a little late to see flower fields but keukenhof can be very beautiful for a visit. Just follow the weekly flower updates tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k63667… and decide a couple of days before you travel if it is worthwhile to go.

8. Re: hotel & bike ride info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 17:05
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel & bike ride info

May 18th is a saturday hence not easy to find a cheap accommodation in town unless you want to try you hand on NYOP

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c115136/Amste…

The CitizenM at the airport has rooms for 130 dollars.

As Nring said, biking through the tulip is not possible anymore, but maybe next time you visit

www.keukenhof.nl/en/535/bike-rental.html

But you might want to spend a half day at the Keukenhof

http://www.keukenhof.nl/en/ A combiticket (22.50 euro) includes busride from the airport to the garden (40 minutes) and fastlane entrance.

After returning to Schiphol, take the train to amsterdam (20 minutes), take a one hour canal boat ride, stroll along the canals, have a look at the Red light District and China Town

or read the Top Question

"What is there to see and do?"

Edited: 24 April 2013, 19:01
Mentioned in this post
citizenM Amsterdam
citizenM Amsterdam
5,389 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,434 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Red Light District
Red Light District
26,054 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
10. Re: hotel & bike ride info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 11:48