We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Tour from Amsterdam

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Day Tour from Amsterdam

I would love to take a day tour from Amsterdam into the countryside to get a feel for Holland that is not represented by Amsterdam itself. What towns would you recommend? Any tours or tour companies that you would recommend? Is it better to do a bike tour or bus/walking tour?

Thanks,

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,546 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

http://www.lindbergh.nl/ plus a few other companies all run tours.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
2. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

Thanks! Nicole.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
3. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

I have been looking at the tours offered and I have no idea which one I should select. I want to visit traditional towns and have an opportunity to walk around and explore. There are visits to Volendam

and Marken, and Miniature town of Madurodam. There are visits to the Hague and to the tulips of Keukenhof (but we will be in Amsterdam in June). There are visits to cheese and clog factories...

It is overwhelming so I was hoping you could highlight what is a must see and what we shouldn't really worry about missing!

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

I recommend going to Volendam & Marken. There is a direct bus from Amsterdam to Volendam and it's a beautiful Dutch fisher's village to walk around. You can even have your picture taken in Volendam traditional clothing. From Volendam take the ferry to Marken (just a short ride), another beautiful fisher's village. From Marken you can take the bus back to Volendam. No need to go with a tour operator. My Danish friend loved it when I took her there. The bus ride is nice as well as you will see some of our country side. But there are many great places you can visit from Amsterdam.

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

nlhunter, if I remember correctly you can see how they make wooden clogs in Volendam as well.

Eureka, California
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

Last year we rented bikes and rode out to Volendam. It was quite beautiful, though it was still early spring so much of the town seemed to be closed up until more tourists appeared. The ride itself went through lovely farmland. It was, however, a very cold and windy day, so that wasn't a great deal of fun.

I've rented bikes twice in Amsterdam and while they are a very efficient way to get around, they are also constructed from old army tanks and they fill the frames with cement so you don't get blown over in the wind. If you're in good shape, it won't be a problem; if you're expecting a 10-speed, you'll be expecting a long time.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
7. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

Thank you.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
8. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

HaHa, nice post Arlos: ".. they fill the frames with cement so you don't get blown over in the wind" :-))

A while back we did have someone on the forum wanting to hire a touring bike. Ron found him a link, if I remember correctly.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k62196…

9. Re: Day Tour from Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 11:48