We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam to Munich City Night Line- questions

Level Contributor
87 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam to Munich City Night Line- questions

Hi,

I want to book an overnight train with CNL from Amsterdam to Munich in September. I will be with my boyfriend and we would like to be in our own compartment so i think this may mean 1st class only.

If you book far in advance, how much can you get the tickets for? I am hoping to book as soon as they are released but it is another 3-4 months before that happens.

Where do the trains depart and arrive? Are they central locations?

Are the trains safe for belongings and are the facilities nice? (i.e. if you pay for first class is it actually nice?)

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,133 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam to Munich City Night Line- questions

You don't need to book first class just go through the booking pages on the BAHN.de site who run the train. You have to option of different reservations from a couchette to a private room with (deluxe) or without (economy) a shower/toilet. Detailed explanations here on the site

citynightline.de/citynightline/view/en/servi…

For the Economy cabins there are shared shower and toilet facilities in the carriage. You can get some more excellent info and pictures on the seat61.com website

www.seat61.com/citynightline.htm#.USmlxxk1ci4

Trains are modern and very safe. The train leaves from Amsterdam Centraal and arrives the next morning in Munich Hbf main station.

Although it can be expensive remember you will not have to pay for a hotel room for that night. Actually its a very nice way to travel as you lose very little time travelling.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hostel Centraal
Hostel Centraal
139 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam to Munich City Night Line- questions

Prices for a bed are usually higher than a roundtrip ticket by plane for KLM of Lufthansa. So keep that in mind.

Are you going for Oktoberfest? It starts sept 21

Also remember the IBC convention you have in Amsterdam mid september, which means very inflated hotel prices.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
3. Re: Amsterdam to Munich City Night Line- questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 10:46