We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

Stamford...
2 posts
Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

I plan to travel between the Netherlands and several cities in Belgium (Antwerp, Amsterdam, Brussels, Bruges and possibly Ghent). I have been toying with the ideal of purchasing the Eurail Pass in advance but I am not sure if that will let me 'hop on' and 'hop off' if I should stumble upon a city not in my planned list. Will this pass allow me to do so? Also, in addition to the Eurail pass purchase, I have to make reservations for certain trains, how is this done? Is the Eurail pass even worth it? Please help!

Edited: 17 February 2013, 00:54
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,527 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

Forget the Eurail pass.

So I presume you want to travel once to Belgium and then visit various places not stay in Amsterdam and do day trip? That would be stupid.

Either book the Thalys to Antwerp or Brussels and buy a ticket to where ever you want to go when you get there. You can also buy an ABS (any Belgian Station) from that site which allows you to carry on to, well any station in Belgium within 24 hours.

Domestic trains in BE & NL ar no reservation so yes you can just hop on and off where you wish as long as it is on a viable route between A & B. So you cannot buy t ticket between Brugge and Brussels and go via Liege for instance.

There is also a 10 carnet ticket available but best to post on the BE forum for info on that

http://www.belgianrail.be/

Edited: 17 February 2013, 01:15
Stamford...
2 posts
2. Re: Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

I plan to stay in Amsterdam as my 'home base', tool around in Amsterdam for two days, then head to Belgium. I know Antwerp is on the way to Belgium so I wanted to hop off there in Antwerp take in a few sights then jump back on a train to Brussels (not sure that is doable). I really want to see Bruges and would like to spend the day there and return to Amsterdam and finish the remaining two days of my trip seeing the rest of Amsterdam. Does this sound crazy? I know all the places / sites I want to visit, just can't figure out the best way to get between Amsterdam and those locations in Belgium. Will check out the website you sent. thanks

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
118 posts
3. Re: Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

Hi,

We are planning a similar trip like you have in mind.

Our trip details(if at all it helps you to plan things.)

Total duration 6 days and 5 nights

1st day : Arriving at Amsterdam Schiphol in the morning, thenwill be going to see Zaanse Schans, then will visit Volendam and Marken if possible. Then will head to HAarlem to see the flower parade and will stay there that night.

2nd day: will be going to Keukenohof and will return to Amsterdam and will stay ther that night

3rd day : Early morning may be 6 am We will leave to Brussels by train(visiting just Mini Europe, Automium, Grand palace), then will go to Ghent by train and spend few hrs there, then will go to Bruges by train and stay there that night.

4th Day: Spend the entire day in Bruges, late evening will leave to Antwerp by train and stay in Antwerp that night

5th Day : Go around Antwerp and in the evening leave to Amsterdam by train and stay in Amsterdam that night

6th Day : Go around Amsterdam ....end of our Holland abd Brussels trip. :)

Hope this helps for u to plan.

BR;

Sanam

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

Sanam, that's a lot of moving around for less than a weeks holiday. To the OP, for travel in the Netherlands and to Belgium train will be your best bet. Booking point to point tickets will be your best be like Ron mentioned. See http://www.nshispeed.nl/en or http://www.thalys.com for tickets.

Edited: 19 February 2013, 20:48
liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
223 reviews
5. Re: Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

Sanam - those are some very long days; maybe pull a few things and enjoy those you do rather than a whistle stop tiring time, just my thoughts.

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
118 posts
6. Re: Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

That's true a lot of things in very short time , I guess I am getting over ambitious. Wish I had more time :) . I might cut down on some places like Volendam, Marken and Ghent are optional. It all depends on the time and weather.

7. Re: Train Travel Between Amsterdam and Brussels - confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 12:46