We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap, clean, basic

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Cheap, clean, basic

I am hoping that I can get a group of friends together for a trip to Amsterdam May 2013.

Im trying to identify the cheapest hotels preferably meeting the following:

close to places to visit

no steep stairways

breakfast and wifi included

The budget is basically not having to spend any more than we have to lol. I have no interest in hotel extras as I like to be out and about as much as possible.

Any suggestions?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

What is your budget? How many people are in your party? Most of the budget friendly accomodation will have steep stairways.

UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

Your 'cheap' could be my expensive! Like Balou said, budget accommodation will generally have very steep stairs, and to find hotels that do breakfast and wifi as well will be a major task!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

Step 1: Look to the right of the page and you will see a Top Question about cheap hotels.

Stop 2: read that.

Step 3: Bid on Priceline to get a 4 star for the price of a budget hotel.

Otherwise provide a budget or look at hostels or the Easyhotel. Very few 1 & 2 star hotels have elevators and Amsterdam stairs are notoriously cheap so get your stairmaster out. I would also say that your list of wants, wi-fi etc will narrow down your choices. If you don't plan on spending much time in the hotel then why free wi-fi? Nip to MacDonalds fro breakfast and use the free wi-fi in there.

You can try the following popular hotels:

Nadia, Chic & basic, A-train, Ibis chain, Amsterdam Grand Hotel Downtown, Crystal, Backstage, Weber, Abba, Princess & The King Hotel.

You might also be cheaper looking at apartment rental but you would have to pour out your own cereal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
4. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

My cheap is literally not paying any more than I have to an acceptable place to sleep.

4 people for perhaps up to £300 for a quad room for 2 nights - is that do-able?

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
5. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

@RonaldC thanks.

I will check out those hotels.

Basically for a 2 night break I am hoping travel and accommodation will be no more than £175 pp

aberdeen
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

Try here :- tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g188590-d2639…

I stay there about 4-5 times a year and i have in fact just returned, they have free wifi, breakfast "which you have to pay extra for" , its a 5 min walk from CS and the price is spot on, however they do have steep stairs and no lift.

I take a small heating element pop it into a mug, go 5 mins up the road to Albert Heijn (supermarket) buy a bottle of water, (the supply in the room will come from a tank),and some breakfast stuff and have a nice continental breakfast in my room, while enjoying a nice big fat doobie, a very civilized way to start the day.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

Check out private quad rooms at hostels. They are by all accounts clean and quite nice. Quad rooms in hotels tend to be a bit pricey

UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

Hey Lovejumping! We are booked at the QA in January so I'm glad to hear we can enjoy a civilized start to the day as well! Stayed at Hotel the Crown a few times, but last time there was absolutely no smoking in any of the rooms which was a tad disappointing!

As far as the original question is concerned, if you are going budget and not using Priceline, then dont set your sights too high or have too many things on the wish list such as breakfast, not steep stairs and free wifi or you will be disappointed!

warwickshire
Level Contributor
961 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

Hi we are booked into the inntel hotel dam square in feb for two nights the ,we have twin rooms with breakfast at £100 per night our flights was £75 so total cost pp for two nights and flight £175 bargain : -)

10. Re: Cheap, clean, basic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2013, 10:45