We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

Dear,

This December I'm gonna take flight from Amsterdam to Hanoi (vietnam) via Beijing Capital airport (PEK). I wonder if can I buy some spirit (such as Chivas) at tax free shopping area (after passport and handbag check) and carry it on board? Is there any limitation for this?

Thanks a lot :D

Uncover Lab
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sterre Der Zee
Gift & Speciality Shops
TAA Store
Gift & Speciality Shops
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,964 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

Hi there,

They are more than willing to put it in a sealed bag for you, but uncertain whether PEK airport transfer respects that sealing. So 2 things to check for you:

1) Ask in China forum about their strictness in the 100 ml liquid-rule and respecting of sealed dutyfree liquids from Europe

2) Check yourself what is allowed as (dutyfree) spirit import into Vietnam. Probably also some upper limits, just a few bottles generally.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,850 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

My gut feeling is it will be confiscated. However this has question has very little to do with Amsterdam so as Erik said you can re-post on the Bejing forum or better still the Air Travel Forum where there are many people who transit PEK all the time and are much more familiar with it than anyone here.

Also check ot the Flyer Talk forums on the web.

Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

Thanks a lot

I already have contacted my airline service and the guy said it's ok cause I only stay in transit area. But I'm still worried because it will be my first time transit in Beijing airport.

One more question. Can you suggest me which shop in tax-free zone has good price on spirit (chivas 12 years or 18 years)?

Thanks a bunch

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,850 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

All shops in Schiphol are run by the same company so prices are all the same.

Honestly I would not trust 'some guy' from the airline it's security at the airport that will possibly confiscate your Chivas. Are you sure in any case that you can't just buy it duty free in Bejing?

Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

actually I do not trust anything bought in China, honestly. I am afraid I would buy fake products or low quality products, especially spirit and wines. that's the reason I prefer to buy it in Amsterdam.

Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

Dear all,

Thank all you guys for very supportive answer.

I traveled on 27 Dec 2012 on flight from AMS to PEK (Beijing international airport). I had considered buying Chivas 18 years a lot in Schiphol airport, but finally I decided to buy. Things went well in Schiphol and of course, I was allowed to bring it on aircraft.

Arriving in PEK and I have to say: one of the worst airports in the world. Instead of going through international transfer and go directly to gate, I had to move to domestic transfer (as the staff in airport guided me). After custom control (where they stamped in my passport), I went up and down to find "international transfer" - without any sign. I tried to ask staffs there but none of them can speak English. So ashamed, especially to an international airport. Finally, I arrived at terminal 2F - departure terminal. The check - in sector locates in a separated area with safety guards check your passport whenever you go inside/outside.

And you know, I bought tax free liquid in Schiphol airport with sealed bag and it is valid for 24 hours. I went around the PEK airport, tried to explain my situation and asked for advice from people of security check. But, again, none of them can speak English. Luckily, just few minutes before I check-in for the next flight, one guy gave me an answer, and: NO. I CANNOT BRING IT ON AIRCRAFT. Finally, I decided to put it into my hand luggage (suitcase) and checked it as checked baggage. Actually, I was allowed only 1 checked baggage, and I had 1 already from HELSINKI (my first flight was HEL-AMS). God blessed that they could not recognize that I had 2 checked baggage. lol

In conclusion, very bad service in PEK airport and you should never buy tax free liquid in any airport if you have to tranfer via China

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,850 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

Thanks for the update. I had suspected that would be the case. As I said never trust people from airlines who possibly have never been to the airport in question.

The guys who frequent the Air Travel forum would have been better placed to ask or there is the flyer talk forum.

At least you got to keep your Chivas.

8. Re: Tax free liquids for non-EU flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 10:46