We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with ATM

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with ATM

Last time i cam to Amsterdam I brought Traveler checks. I wanted to use the ATM machines for my next trip.

I called Chase and they said that they will charge a 3% fee on top of everthing else.

Can someone recommend another bank that I can open an account at in the US that has locations in Amsterdam where I will not get charged thru the nose.

I have no problem opening up another bank account for this.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with ATM

eric j...

I live in Naperville - 'burb of Chicago.We have BMO Harris..... and have used the ATM card outside the country. They do allow a certain number of ATM withdrawals free if they do not have a 'partner' bank.(They reverse the ATM fees.) Talk to them, discuss these ATM fees, are there fees for currency exchange? And, also remember that the bank that you are using may have fees that cannot be reversed. Also remember, it is best to take cash out for what you will need for a few days - and not make multiple withdrawals which might increase any fees.

As another option.... we also use the Travelex preloaded card. It is a MasterCard - use as a debit card. It can be loaded in Euros. We have used it on multiple trips to Europe preloaded with euros, and to the UK preloaded with pounds. Check out their website for a location near you in the city - there is NOT one at OHare. There is one in Naperville. You can also have one Fedex (or similar) to you which will take away one fee. We like to use this card simply because it is not tied to our bank accounts - in case of fraud/theft, etc. It can be monitored online re:transactions.

As always, you need to look at the fees / exchange rates with any thing you do - ATM from your bank. Travelex, etc. I know a lot of travelers will search and search for the very best rate , but for me, the time spent, the aggravation, the hassle of applying to a new credit card company,etc..... all in all I might have only saved $20.00!

We actually use the Travelex card, take cash euros, our VISA (Marriott affilated with no foreign currency exchange fees) and have the BMO Harris ATM card as a backup.

At OHare, the currency exchanges are not run by Travelex, rather by Seaway - and I have found their rates were not as favorable. Just my opinion.

Also, be sure to call the bank and any credit card company that you might be using their card that you will be overseas so your account isn't frozen for possible fraud activity.

Good Luck!

Carolynn

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Harris
Isle of Harris
Lewis and Harris, UK
Europe
Europe
World
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with ATM

I've been living in Amsterdam now for almost two months and I have found using my PayPal debit card to be the most cost effective. You can move funds from your "home" bank into your PayPal account for no charge. There's no ATM fee and you get cash back for debit card purchases (not atm withdrawals). Associating your "home" bank account as your back-up funding for PayPal will withdraw funds directly when making debit card purchases, but you have to load your PayPal account with dollars in order to make ATM withdrawals.

Early on, I withdrew €200 using my "home" bank's debit card and €200 using the PayPal debit card. Totaling all fees, the PayPal card was the better choice. I did not factor in cash-back so that improves the results even more.

Capitol One is also often recommended as having low fees.

No US bank is going to have actual locations in The Netherlands, you will only find participating ATM systems.

Compared to what the exchange bureaus will give you, even 3% is still better.

Spend wisely,

chuck

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,466 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with ATM

ive seen ING commercials so they have a presence in the states. but i havent seen a brick and mortar bank. but maybe they dont do business in my part of the world....ING is a dutch bank.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with ATM

In USA, ING is part of CapitalOne, as "ING Direct." There are no "bricks and mortar" branches, it is an "electronic" account, which is becoming more common all the time.

But, they WILL charge 2 percent for foreign transactions (anything other than the local, i.e. dollar, currency).

helpcenter.ingdirect.com/Topic.aspx…

Edited: 19 October 2012, 20:32
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,552 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with ATM

How much cash will you actually be using?

Not for the big items like hotel I think.

I find that so much of my trip is either pre paid or CC.

The amount I lose in ATM usage is a pretty small amount.

But I love the peace of mind it brings

Illinois
Level Contributor
18,535 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with ATM

Try credit unions. My local credit union does not charge a foreign transaction fee or a fee for using other ATMs.

Capital One does not charge a foreign transaction fee on its credit cards, but I wouldn't use it for cash as you'd be charged interest as a cash advance. Some of the Chase cards are the same. (The British Airways one also has a chip so will work in more machines than an unchipped card, but has no pin, so doesn't work in all of them. It worked for me in the UK, I've heard that it works in France. It didn't work in the BVG machines in Germany, but I understand they only take German cards.)

I think maybe there's a Charles Schwab account without ATM and foreign transaction fees.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
7. Re: Need help with ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 14:46