We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

Im planning a trip to Amsterdam from december 28th till january 2. No one wants to go with me so i want to go alone. Family and friends say its a bad idea to go alone. Im thinking of staying in the flying pig uptown. I have heard many good things about that hostel. Has anyone ever gone alone? What to bring to be prepared? Whats the weather looking like that time of year?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Hostels in Amsterdam
Lucky Lake Hostel
Lucky Lake Hostel
#1 of 4 Speciality lodging in Vinkeveen
Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel
Hello I'm Local Boutique Hostel
#1 of 12 Speciality lodging in Haarlem
CityHub Amsterdam
CityHub Amsterdam
#7 of 255 Speciality lodging in Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

hi , nothing to worry about travelling alone to Amsterdam. The natives are friendly ! It will probably be chilly but who knows for certain !! I cant help you about the hostel , never been in it but it does havea reasonable reputation ...geoff

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

go enjoy, you will have no problem, if you wanna meet up with others at coffeeshop, have a look at this site<>www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com

peace mattty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,510 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

Staying at the FP and being alone is a great idea people,wise

I go alone all the time since the mrs still works. Maybe 15 times alone so far. And I go for 2 weeks at a time normally.

I love it.

But there is always a day or two where I get a bit lonely. A bit down in the dumps.

I just suck it up and move on knowing it will pass quickly.

Coffeeshops and breakfast rooms where you are staying are a great way to meet people?

People,do tend to be very friendly.

And if you are the least bit friendly and even a little outgoing you should meet a lot of people to hang with.

FL
Level Contributor
114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

Been 12 times. Always alone. Then again I am an adult who enjoys the city with the most freedom to be an adult. If you are over 21 you should be able to handle yourself. Under 21, I would recommend going with others or family.

Save Reply
5. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

There's much better then Hostels. Look into airbnb.com. Its great, cheap and you'll be surprise to find really good nice place to stay. Far better then hostels. You can even find lowest price as $35/per night. Have a look, and see how you like it. Hope this helps :)

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

What ever you do, reserve your hotel/hostel as soon as possible with NYE

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,882 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

hi, yes excellent point made by Henkie.. It is always very busy over the New Years period and you may even be too late to pick and choose your accommodation. I would sort that out ASAP ..... geoff

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

ive spent months alone in amsterdam ( except during week working with colleagues ). but the weekends were mine and i loved doing what i wanted, going where i wanted, on my own time.

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

Thanks guys, I made my reservation in that hostel about a month ago so that isnt a problem. You guys reassured me that this is going to be a great experience. Im turning 21 during my trip and feel like this will help me grow and develop trust in myself.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel To Amsterdam Alone?

You will have a blast! It is a great city to visit alone. Safe, small, diverse, exciting, fun, and you're turning 21! Trust me, this may be your first trip, but it won't be your last!