We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit Card ATM Logo Help

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Debit Card ATM Logo Help

I searched prior questions, but still a little confused...

My MasterCard Debit Card only has STAR network, The Exchange, and MasterCard logos on the back. I do not see Cirrus or Maestro. Will I be able to use it at ATM in Amsterdam? Is the MasterCard logo on the back good enough? Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel The Exchange
Hotel The Exchange
1,342 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,319 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

From the STAR Network website:

"STAR ATMs are only available in the US, Canada and UK at this time."

Toronto
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

What about the "Plus" system? Good in Europe?

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

If it has the Mastercard logo, you should be able to use it, but perhaps only as a credit card (not debit card). Use of credit cards in ATMs might be expensive though.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,513 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

here allow me...from the visa plus website..

http://www.visa.com/atmlocator/index.jsp#(page:results,params:(query:'Amsterdam, Netherlands'))

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,956 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

People, with a question like this, why take the risk to get stuck without access to money... just call your card issuer!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

Thank you all for the help. I did call the bank, (they said it will work with cirrus) I am just verifying with the pros and to double check with others. I don't want to be stuck either. Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

just call your bank to see if it works where you are visiting , the most simle and easy answer

Florida
Level Contributor
17,373 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

I have used my Capital One Debit card in Amsterdam, Italy, France with no problems for the past 3 years at least. On the front of the card it has the Bank name and the orange/red circles with "MasterCard" in the logo. On the back is has the usual customer service number, signature panel, and 'rules' verbage, and then "Capital One Bank"... no reference or logo whatsoever for any ATM network.

If you don't mind saying, what is the issuing Bank of your Debit card?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Hungary
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

Mastercard = Cirrus/Maestro, didn't you notice the similarity in the logo? :)

Depending on your bank with the exception of Schwab, Capital One, and several others - you're going to be hit with a 1% - 3% foreign transaction fee for any purchases. In the event a merchant asks whether you would like to be charged n EUR or USD, choose EUR since you'll get a better exchange rate.

10. Re: Debit Card ATM Logo Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 14:47