We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

Hi

I am planning on travelling to Amsterdam for 4-5 days soon, and I would like to be able to use the internet through my Smartphone.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

I think the best option is to buy a 'pay as you go' SIM card in Amsterdam?

Does anyone know what my best options are? Can I buy these SIM cards easily, or do they have strict requirements?

Can I buy them at the airport?

Does anyone know if I can order one online and have the SIM card delivered to me in the UK, so that I can simply plug it in after landing in Amsterdam?

Thanks for your help!

Maarouf

Zwolle, The...
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

You can buy them at the airport they even have a vending machine selling them.

Also check travellerspoint.com/sim-cards-country.cfm…

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

That is great news. How much data allowance do you get for around 10-15€?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,850 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

Who is your contract with in the UK? I would look at a solution from them rather than getting another SIM card with a different number for just a few days. For instance for 3 pounds per day Vodaphone will let you use your contrract minutes and data as normal whilst in Europe.

Also lots of places have free wi-fi in Amsterdam these days.

vodafone.co.uk/personal/…

Edited: 08 August 2012, 07:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

The problem is I am on a pre paid (or 'pay as you go' as it is called in the UK) in the uk.

The deals like the 3/day by vodafone are usually only for people on contract.

I will be using it mainly for internet so I don't mind my number changing for a few days. I will use it for things like Skype and google maps to get around and call friends on skype.

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

Is there free wifi all over the city? I have an iPad and iPod and want to use an app called Anne's Amsterdam but need internet connection to do it and using a smart phone is too expensive.

Thanks

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

Albert Heijn (largest supermarket chain in the Netherlands) sells pre-paid internet sim-cards for 10, 20 and 30 euros. You'll get 133, 333 and 600 mb's on them respectively. They also offer an app where you can check your data use.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

There isn't free internet literally all over the city but a lot of establishments offer free wifi (hotels, fast food restaurants, cafe's, coffee houses, coffee shops, museums, etc...).

Iowa
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

You will probably need to unlock your phone, which will be an extra charge. At the very least contact your UK service provider and make sure your phone will work in AMS.

I would follow Ron's advice.

Fahaheel, Kuwait
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

T-Mobile has a pre-paid GSM sim plan. I believe that once you hit 4.95€ per day of internet use, after that there isnt any other charges. In other words, 5€ would be the most you would pay for unlimited internet for each day.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smartphone internet SIM cards 'pay as you go' in Amsterdam

Where are you staying? There are now telecom stores in abundance, popping up like weeds, especially in the heart of the center (Dam Sq to Rembrandt Sq, high streets Kalverstraat and Leidsestraat). When you arrive, I would suggest you venture into one and just ask. There are many options to choose from and they will help sort you out activating the sim and getting the necessary settings etc as well.

But as one other person recommended, if you have not yet done this trick with your current phone overseas make sure you know whether your phone is sim-lock free.