We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

Torrance, California
3 posts
Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

HELP please, I am less than a month away, today is June 9th, and I would like to do a day trip from Paris to Amsterdam on July 8th. I've searched the Thalys site and they have a train from Paris to Amsterdam in the morning but none left coming back to Paris at night. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? Other trains?

We have to come back at night on the 8th because we have a flight from Paris back home to Los Angeles next day on July 9th.

1. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 June 2012, 01:37
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,269 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

I just looked at the Thalys site and they have trains all day so don't know what you are doing wrong. Also looked at the http://www.tgv-europe.com/en/ First train in the morning is at 08:16 and the last train back is at 19:25.

Will be an expensive trip though as the cheaper ticekts have sold out. First calss is actually cheaper than Second but is 198 euros.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,548 posts
229 reviews
3. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

Thalys is the only company doing it high-speed, sadly. Paris-Brussels is also done by other Thalys trains but Brussels-Amsterdam is only on the direct trains from Paris; the IC train is 1 hour at least slower and would not help for a day trip.

Try http://www.tgv-europe.com/ and www.nshispeed.nl as alternate sales sites for these trains, they might have seats available on those afternoon trains...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
76 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

While technically possible, I think a day trip to Paris might be a rushed affair. The train takes 3:18 to arrive at Paris Nord, which is not close to the typical touristic areas of Paris (Champs Elysees, Eiffel Tower, Louvre, etc). If the train has an issue, or is late (hey it happens, I take it for business enough times) then you would lose even more time. You'd be so worried about making it to all your list of places and back to the station in time. And pray, just pray you never hear the word "manifestation" uttered. It means a protest and that often creates chaos in the city (by design).

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,548 posts
229 reviews
5. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

Hmmm... better read the question properly. They talk about a day trip FROM Paris TO Amsterdam. For which of course also half a day is short, but percentagewise in that time you see more of Amsterdam than of Paris...

Tnx anyway,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
76 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

Ah yes, you are right. I misread the original. In such a case, please disregard my post.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,269 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

Woops I read it the other way around also. From Paris to amsterdam there seems to be better availability. Still expensive at 144.00 € though

Torrance, California
3 posts
8. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

Thanks so much for your help!

Wendolyn

Torrance, California
3 posts
9. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

Thank you very much Erik!

Wendolyn

Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Paris to Amsterdam..HELP

I did a day trip from Paris to Amsterdam in May. I bought my tickets through RailEurope and the tickets were sent to my home. I paid $50 USD from Paris to Amsterdam and then $70 USD from Amsterdam back to Paris. If your tickets are more expensive than that...then I would advise going to Amsterdam another time. A day trip to Amsterdam from Paris is really not enough time to enjoy the city. I've been to Amsterdam many times in the past and I knew exactly what I wanted to do in Amsterdam this time around. With a day trip, you'll really be rushed especially if you want to enjoy your time at museums. It would be better for an overnight trip to Amsterdam...see the museums during the day and then enjoy a relaxing cruise of the canals in the evening or going to a concert at the Concertboew.(spelling?). Enjoy your trip!!