We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheaper bars and restaurants

southampton
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
cheaper bars and restaurants

Does anyone know of any cheaper bars and restaurants a bit off of the main drag in Amsterdam? Have been going there for years but with the exchange rate being so bad really need to find some places that maybe don't charge so much?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

Covered at least once a month.http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k5470845-Budget_Drinks_Bars-Amsterdam_Noord_Holland.html

Peace

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,848 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

Actually the exchange rate has gone in favour of the pound by about 15% in the past year.

I don’t' know if it is a permanent thing or just for the European Championships but I saw cheap beer at the Cinema Cafe from 2000 to midnight with wine at €2 per glass.

Otherwise I find that beer prices don't vey by much more than 50c no matter where you go in town (with the exception of the really expensive places like the Europub on Dam Sq.) and its getting increasingly expensive to eat out.

I did notice there was a new large pizza place called Vipiano on the corner of Rembrantdplein and Amstelstraat which looks really nice and has a very competitive menu. I think they are an international chain but to be honest I have never heard of them before. Coco's Outback bar does really nice burgers for under a tenner.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,967 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

Vapiano is a chain and we have already some restaurants in Germany

http://www.vapiano.de/frame.php?lang=deen

You can order the food at the cooks directly and can watch how it is prepared.

Most of the restaurants (in Germany) are pretty modern and stylish but not pretentious and especially younger people like it.

I have to admit that I prefer the small and cosy Italian restaurant "around the corner" but this is perhaps a matter of taste - and age:-).

But you should give it a try - the food is pretty decent, but we had just pizza...

glasgow
Level Contributor
76 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

The exchange rate is a belter just now. When we went to Spain this time last year we were getting 1.05 for a pound. I bought about a grands worth of euros a month ago and got almost 1.25.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,193 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

Take some snacks and beers from the supermarket and enjoy them in the Vondelpark, along a canal or on Dam square.......

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

Besides supermarkets you also have McDonalds, Burger King and our own FEBO. If you want a real meal and you like chinese, you would be fine. A lot of cheap and good chinese and thai restaurants on the Zeedijk like Nam Kee, Wing Kee, Dim sum Court eat as much as you can for 8.50 , Kam Kee etc. Also Kam Yin on the Warmoesstraat for surinamese , they all have meals from seven euro and up.

Edited: 11 June 2012, 15:55
7. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 01:25
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

MarMar300, why do you want people t add you on FB just to receive advice? That is the whole purpose of the TA forums, to answer questions. If you don't want to publish them to the public send the OP a private message.

Peace

9. Re: cheaper bars and restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 07:47