We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Flight

What is the best airline to use to get from Cleveland to Amsterdam in terms of extra leg room and amenities ( food, drinks,etc.)?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,628 posts
1. Re: Flight

in your part of the world it would probably be northwest..i think they fly out of cincinatti..or detroit. american carriers that fly into ams are northwest,delta, us air, continental..some of these are code share so your ticket might say continental but you are on KLM equipment.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
62,569 posts
229 reviews
2. Re: Flight

Oops, an American who does not know that the Northwest label disappeared 3 years ago at least? It's all Delta now.

Apparently their PR is quite bad that they could not reach our nice friend Steve ;-)...

Tnx,

<Erik>

PS And also Continental --> United but that's a lot more recent.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 23:35
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,628 posts
3. Re: Flight

in 2009 i bought a KLM ticket..flew over KLM, flew back on a northwest flight ( aftter the merger ) painted northwest colors..perhaps they hadnt repainted the fleet yet

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Flight

I like KLM from Canada

Maybe they fly from your area also

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Flight

Double check the operating carriers before you finalize the reservation. KLM for example has flights out of CLE, but a lot of them are code shares operated by DL for part or all of the trip. Same with the Lufthansa flights. Even though they have a LH flight number, they may be operated partially or wholly by UA.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 02:10
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Flight

KLM does not fly out of CLE.

To the OP, most of the legacy carriers (United, US Airways & Delta) offers flights to Amsterdam from various hubs on the east coast. Seat Guru is great site to compare the on board products of different aircraft. For example, some of Delta's aircraft don't have personal TV's just overhead video. But United has on demand TV and power at every seat. If you want a little extra legroom, Delta and United offer economy comfort/plus seating. For economy meals, the food is pretty even across the board. With Delta offering free wine/beer, which is a nice touch.

You can also fly on a European carrier (KLM/Air France, Lufthansa, British Airways/Iberia, Aer Lingus). The only downside to flying one of them, except KLM, it will require an extra transfer. For instance, American to JFK then BA to LHR to AMS or United to Newark then Lufthansa to FRA to AMS. The plus is that most of them will allow a free stopover. So you can spend a day in London, Dublin, Madrid, or Frankfurt.

And one other thing, try and book directly with the airline and not an online agent (ie. Expedia and the like). I have found that they are not as accommodating when something goes wrong, YMMV. To compare all the prices, give Kayak a try.

Hope this helps.

http://www.seatguru.com

http://www.kayak.com

Peace

Germany
Level Contributor
606 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Flight

I second Balou1999's great recommendations.

I like flying with KLM (when they operate they flight) whenever possible and always check seatguru.com before flying.

8. Re: Flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 07:46