We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic city bus or tram trip

Brit in Costa...
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Scenic city bus or tram trip

Any recomendations for a bus or tram route that we could ride just for the scenery, preferably in a circle to for the 1 hour allowed.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,695 posts
1. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

you could ride trams 1,2, or 5 to the end and return..that would take at least an hour each.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,559 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

There is no circle tram. The 20 tram stopped running many years ago. Can't say that any tram once it gets out of the city centre, are picturesque.

Maybe tram 3 is about the closest to a circle.

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

Have you thought of riding the "Stop and Go" shuttle that runs along the Prinsengracht? It is a bit bumpy, but very interesting. It travels in two directions along the Prinsengracht; Central Station to Waterlooplein, or Waterlooplein to Central Station. You pay in each direction, and remember that you pay in each direction, and each time you hop on unless you have a valid Tram ticket. Do any osters know how much to ride? Last time I used it, it was 1 Euro.

I have also found it interesting to travel a line to it's end, I agree with Ronaldo, the further you travel, the less picturesque.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,559 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

The Stop 'n Go bus stopped and went last year. However it has been replaced by the CSS city centre line http://www.css-pts.nl/index-english.html

so searcher this is the one you need.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,695 posts
5. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

no, the tram rides arent "picturesque" its not like you are going to be rolling through the alps or something..but it gives you a chance to roll through parts of town you might not normally see...you know, see how real dutch people live

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
253 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

I looked at the new CSS City Center Line route. It appears to re-create almost the same route along the Prinsengracht. I am sorry to see the "Stop and Go" has ended. The "Stop and Go" ran evey 15 minutes compared to the City Center Line's every 30 minute schedule. I am also disappointed that a 24 hr Tram pass is not vaild on it.

Brit in Costa...
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
7. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

Thanks all for your replies! The center line route looks good, can ride it all the way round when we get tired of walking and need to sit for a while!

8. Re: Scenic city bus or tram trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:12