We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance versus Double Tree

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
103 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Renaissance versus Double Tree

Hi Travelers,

My wife and I are visiting Amsterdam for the first time this May. Would you take a regular room with lounge access at Renaissance or a suite with city view at Double Tree. It's hard to get a good look at the overall size of the suite on Renaissance website. Also, does either have an advantage for location?

Thank-you!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Hotel Sebastian's
Hotel Sebastian's
#4 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Mauro Mansion
Mauro Mansion
#5 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
#7 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

While the Renaissance is a nice hotel, I would choose the DoubleTree. It's a new hotel and the view are pretty spectacular. Both hotels are centrally located, 5 - 7 minutes walking from Centraal Station in opposite directions.

Peace

Mentioned in this post
Centraal Station
Centraal Station
13,404 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

people seem to prefer a city view at the doubletree rather than railside.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,091 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

Doubltree. However if you prefere a quieter locale then the Rennaisance.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,537 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

Do you have upgraded status with either Hilton or Marriott?

If I had status in one of those that would be where I would stay

If not you will not make a bad choice with either

I'd go with the DT just because it is new and I would want a crack at those views.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

Agree with the city view vs. the rail/harbor view here at Double Tree. And the noise is a bit of an issue - the trains are constantly coming and going, of course. Hotel is beautiful and modern and they have the iMac computer/TV in the rooms. Only issue we've had is food - as a corporation, they do what they do and not much else. They are absolutely not accommodating with dietary needs (we need vegan, no dairy). They have a menu and the menu is the menu - expect no flexibility. If you're ok with meat and cheese on and in every dish you order, you'll be fine. Wonderful, professional staff. Only the corporate our-way-or-the-highway bozos are to blame regarding the food issue here.

6. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 18:48