We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance versus Double Tree

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
105 posts
100 reviews
Renaissance versus Double Tree

Hi Travelers,

My wife and I are visiting Amsterdam for the first time this May. Would you take a regular room with lounge access at Renaissance or a suite with city view at Double Tree. It's hard to get a good look at the overall size of the suite on Renaissance website. Also, does either have an advantage for location?

Thank-you!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

While the Renaissance is a nice hotel, I would choose the DoubleTree. It's a new hotel and the view are pretty spectacular. Both hotels are centrally located, 5 - 7 minutes walking from Centraal Station in opposite directions.

Peace

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

people seem to prefer a city view at the doubletree rather than railside.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,546 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

Doubltree. However if you prefere a quieter locale then the Rennaisance.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,704 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

Do you have upgraded status with either Hilton or Marriott?

If I had status in one of those that would be where I would stay

If not you will not make a bad choice with either

I'd go with the DT just because it is new and I would want a crack at those views.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
5. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

Agree with the city view vs. the rail/harbor view here at Double Tree. And the noise is a bit of an issue - the trains are constantly coming and going, of course. Hotel is beautiful and modern and they have the iMac computer/TV in the rooms. Only issue we've had is food - as a corporation, they do what they do and not much else. They are absolutely not accommodating with dietary needs (we need vegan, no dairy). They have a menu and the menu is the menu - expect no flexibility. If you're ok with meat and cheese on and in every dish you order, you'll be fine. Wonderful, professional staff. Only the corporate our-way-or-the-highway bozos are to blame regarding the food issue here.

6. Re: Renaissance versus Double Tree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 18:48