We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

Hi ---can anyone please recommend any good day trips from Amsterdam by train ? Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks !

Winnipeg, Canada
14 posts
1. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

I was looking at the same thing and found a few that can be done.

Amsterdam to Brussels seemed doable, taking the early trains out. And then I thought why not make it and overnighter and take the grand tour. Did you find anymore.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

There you have it: http://tinyurl.com/46j8feq

I heartily recommend # 37/17 on the map, well worth it. Only 1 hr by train, a very nice open air museum to enjoy and a super nice old city, that once was THE big city in the Netherlands, where West Indian ships departed from. If you fancy taking a holiday from your holiday, you could stretch it a bit and head to Texel (train to Den Helder, a short bus ride and a ferry). Nice island, beaches, lots of sheeps. And a good brewery :)

@alittle1: have you considered an overnight in Bruges rather than Brussels? Magic once the day trippers are gone http://www.trabel.com/brugge.htm

Edited: 22 March 2012, 08:25
Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

Thank you Eire Lover --Brugge looks especially interesting ---Thanks very much --appreciated !

Dwayner

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

You're welcome Dwayner. May you have a very nide trip in The Netherlands!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

I'll be going to Amsterdam next week. My buddies and I will be taking a day trip to Paris via the Thalys. We'll only be in Paris for about 7 hours but it should be a nice ride to and from Amsterdam and a quick trip to a city we've never been too.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

I wouldn't advise either Brugge or Brussels as a day trip from Amsterdam. Overnight stay certainly but you'll end up spending most of your time on the train.

For a day trip from Amsterdam my suggestion would be Enkhuizen. Utrect and Delft are also well worth considering.

Germany
Level Contributor
609 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

Are you looking for a day trip outside The Netherlands? We enjoyed day trips from Amsterdam by train to Haarlem and to Leiden.

Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

Thank you ---anywhere really within easy travel. We have a few days in Amsterdam after a cruise before heading off to Britain. We enjoy history, culture,

smaller places with character. Could stay overnight as well if it's a little further.

What about Cologne ? Brugge ?

Dwayner

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,707 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

If you've not been to Brugge, it should be high on your list. You'll want to spend the night.

The cathedral in Cologne is amazing. I found the rest of Cologne lackluster. We did have a lovely tapas dinner and drinking the Kölsch beer is fun and delicious.

You might also look into Ghent in Belgium or Deventer, Zwolle, Zutphen or Utrecht in The Netherlands. Utrecht reminds me of a mini-Amsterdam, even more so than Haarlem.

Have fun,

chuck

Kelowna, B.C.
Level Contributor
163 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Day Trips by Rail from Amsterdam

Hey Chuck ;

Thanks --I'll certainly look into your suggestions 1 Appreciated.

Dwayner