We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
25 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Passport

As a visitor from the US, do we need to carry our passport at all times? Would a photocopy be enough?

Thank you.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport

Officially you are supposed to have your passport at all times but that is rarely enforced. Personally I carry a colour photocopy. The one time (in over 12 years) I was asked for ID I pulled that out saying that my passport was too valuable to carry with me all the time. The policeman accepted that. He also let me off my offence which was crossing an empty road when the pedestrian light was still red.

Edited: 13 March 2012, 00:08
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,583 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport

i would carry it if you didnt have a room safe in your hotel room..otherwise i wouldnt..just carry your drivers license. one tip a traveler gave me that i thought was brilliant is make a copy or scan of your passport..open up a free yahoo/hotmail type email account that you can access from anywhere. and send that scanned copy to that email address. that will come in handy should you ever lose your passport abroad.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,875 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport

Your US driving licence plus a copy of your passport should be enough.

4. Re: Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:12