We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

Connecticut
9 posts
Save Topic
rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

We are flying from New York into Brussels and plan on taking the train to Amsterdam to stay for a few days before our cruise. Should I purchase train tickets on-line before I leave or just purchase them when we reach Brussels.? Is there only one train line that takes this route?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,311 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c140222/Amste…

Should tell you all you need to know

Connecticut
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

Thanks Ronaldo for the website- it does offer a lot of information. Any thoughts on the Thalys high speed train vs the IC train?Does the IC make a lot of stops along the way? For the IC you purchase at the time and Thalys you must purchase ahead of time. Thanks for any insight on one vs the other.

3. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 18:54
Edited: 07 March 2012, 18:54
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

The high speed train has 3 stops on the way and takes 2 hours, the IC train has 8 stops and takes 3 hours.

Connecticut
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

Thanks for this information regarding both...Maybe the price of the tickets will be the determining factor...if you get high speed early it is affordable..if not we'll stick with the IC

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,311 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

The Thalys is a nice train and especialy if you have never used high speed tain travel before (perhaps you have) it is a nice experience. However if you book in advance then the fare is generally non refundable so if you inbound flight is late then you may have to buy a new full fare ticket on the day.

Thalys tickets are only available from 12 weeks prior to travel when the cheapest seats are put on sale.

If you are travelling at the weekend then the fare on the IC train is only 19 euros one way.

Why are you not flying to Amsterdam direct though?

Connecticut
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

I am using frequent flier miles and the only connection I could get was NY-Zurich with an 8 hour layover before the connection to Amsterdam so flying directly wasn't an option. I also thought the train would give a glimpse of the country. The website seemed to indicate that the Thalys tickets had to be purchased ahead of time unlike the IC ticketts which you can buy at the station. There was also something about difficulty with puchasing tickets on-line with foreign credit cards. I won't be able to do anything until 3 months ahead as you mentioned. Thanks again for your information

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

@RonaldoC I am wondering whether that article you referred to has been updated recently. I have not had any problems purchasing from www.nshispeed.nl from where I live (Australia), in fact, my earliest purchase was in 2009. Perhaps this problem is specific to US credit cards?

Smithtown, New York
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

I am thinking of making this trip next month on a Thursday. Seems like Thalys is the way to go, especially if you want to see the country the way I do. Is it easy to get around Amsterdam once you get in?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,076 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rail travel from Brussels-Amsterdam

Yes, Amsterdam centre is quite walkable. Only for points a bit far from Central Station, like museum district, public transport (quite dense and frequent) comes to a help.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]