We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
822 posts
40 reviews
Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

I will be going to the Keukenhof early Mon 4/30 in the am. Will I have a problem getting a train from Schiphol to Amsterdam late afternoon? Would I be better off taking the the bus to Leiden and then train in from Leiden? Just want to make sure I can get back to Amsterdam. Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

Other DE's have posted the police sometimes will close the train station do to overcrowding. I don't think it will make a difference if you attempt to take the train from Leiden or Schiphol. If anything maybe take the train to the Lelylaan or Zuid station and tram as close as you can to the Centrum.

Peace

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

Where are you staying? Depending on that a bus or tram into Amsterdam may be a better option.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
822 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

I am staying at the doubletree near the central station. Do you think a bus back to the city instead of a train has a better chance of being a sure way back?

Edited: 08 February 2012, 18:09
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

In that case train, no question. The bus is only a better option for people who are staying in the Leidseplein or Museum areas.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
5. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

PlaneJane, sorry this response doesnt actually offer up any suggestions to your questions, instead i want to pose a question to you?

How good exactly is Queens day? maybe this is your first time out there for this?

I ask as i knwo prices can sometimes be twice as much as normal but i am contemplating attending this year and want to no roughly what it is like?

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

Lots of write ups on Queens day here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188590-r519…

indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

I will be arriving in Amsterdam on April 29 and would also like to to go to Keukenhof on the morning of April 30. We are staying at the Hotel Brouwer which located on the Singael Canal(?) Can anyone tell me how we can get to the Keukenhof from there and back to Amsterdam. We would then enjoy QD later in the afternoon and evening.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,876 posts
231 reviews
8. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

Hi there,

Go to Central Station (7 mins walk), book a return ticket to Schiphol, and take bus 58 to 'Hof from there.

You'd better purchase the combined bus-entrance ticket ahead at Internet, www.keukenhof.nl; saves you queuing time and some money compared to 2 tickets also.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

indianapolis
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

thank you. I didn't think the buses ran out of Central Station on QD?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
822 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Return to Amsterdam on Queen's Day?

My questions for Q's Day are 1) can I get to Keukenhof earlier if I train to Leiden and bus from there instead of Schiphol?

2) will I have a problem taking the train back from Schiphol in the late afternoon/early evening?

Thanks!