We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

Portland/Hillsboro...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

I need to get from Frankfurt to catch my flight out of Schiphol/amsterdam in mid-Oct. (2011). I can't find a reasonably priced one way flight that will work, so I looked at the trains. I found a high speed ICE train that leaves a little after 7am and will get me in to Schiphol a little shy of 2 hours before my flight, but I need some advice.

Since I'll be cutting it close, are trains generally on time between Germany & The Netherlands?

I want to double check that the train that comes into Amsterdam and is listed as Schiphol, actually comes to the airport (and not some little town nearby with that name). That might be a stupid question, but I'd feel like a bigger idiot if I didn't ask and I missed my plane because I didn't end up where I thought I would.

Do you know where the train comes in to the airport? Is it convenient for airline check in? I'll be dragging luggage, so it's an issue.

And finally... on a more aesthetic note... is it a picturesque train ride? My husband said he thinks it's along the Rhine River but he wasn't sure.

Oh, and one last thing... 2nd class or 1st class? It's only 4 hours, so I'm planning on 2nd class unless someone tells me it's horrible. (My experience on European rail lines suggests that it will be absolutely lovely in 2nd, but I thought I'd ask.)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 09:31
Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Germany
Germany
Europe
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

Hi there,

1] The route is not spectacular, sorry. Frankfurt to Cologne has a brilliant Rhine river route but the ICE cannot take it due to speed restrictions, they 'dug' a new route along highways and fields...

2] That train terminates at Amsterdam CENTRAAL, not airport. You'd need to leave it in Utrecht and there transfer to the Schiphol train which leaves every 15 mins and takes 30 mins to Schiphol (same time as the ICE takes to Amsterdam Centraal). So you'd be at Schiphol at most 10 mins later than the Centraal timing due to wait time. (And the Schiphol train is right under the airport, perfectly for luggage etc.)

3] 2nd class does it for us on these trains, it's more luxury than 2nd class on domestic trains.

4] Yes generally these trains don't suffer much delay.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hostel Centraal
Hostel Centraal
139 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

2nd class is perfectly fine for a 4hr journey. If you check out the german rail site , you can usually get really cheap deals if you book in advance. I only paid around 22 euro for a train from Cologne to Amsterdam.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Portland/Hillsboro...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

Thank you all for your replies.

@Erik & Sandya... the route I was looking at does have me leaving the train in Utrecht and I wondered about that, but this explains why, since it's a more direct route to get me to the airport.

@Hemikiwi... I had seen some posts about great train deals on old forum threads, but so far the best I've found is 78 Euros/per person. Not horrible and cheaper than flying, but I'll keep looking for something lower (esp. since I think I also have to pay an additional amount for a seat reservation).

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,578 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

> Not horrible and cheaper than flying, but I'll keep looking for something lower

Unless you change your plans and look for an earlier or later train, there won't be "something lower". There is a number of cheap seats per train, if they are sold there is the next more expensive contingent, and so on until you are at the full price tickets (which are always available, not limited, fully flexible etc. etc.)

--> 114,40 € p.p.

Also, 78 € sounds like a price for 2 (they are always 29 €, 39 €, 49 € etc.).

If it is 78 € for all of you then buy immediately as it cannot be cheaper.

>(esp. since I think I also have to pay an additional amount for a seat reservation).

You don't have to pay it, but it is a good idea. In 2nd class it is € 2,50 p.p. if you buy it together with your ticket, or € 4,50 separately.

Portland/Hillsboro...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

@altamiro....

Thanks for your insight. No, the price was 78 € per person... or 156 € for the 2 of us. If it was 78 € for both I would have scooped it up... but I guess I should do that anyway since the price could definitely go up, as you point out.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

Watch out if your train is on a Sunday, thats when the Germans and Dutch do a lot of engineering and maintenance work on the railways, ICE trains then are often late.

The only scenery worth mentioning is the bridge over the Rhine entering Cologne station and the brothel by Düsseldorf station :-)

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
7. Re: Is the train trip from Frankfurt to Amsterdam nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 21:47