We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

Manchester, United...
1 post
Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

I booked my Stag trip to amsterdam for Jan 2012, and have heard recently that there is the possibility for a tourist ban to all coffeeshops.

After a bit of research it looks like this has not actually been written into legality yet.

Has this has not been ruled, what are the chances of this not actually moving any further forward due the the massive impact it will have on the city's tourist trade. I mean the tag line of the apartement I booked was ""Smoking"" Friendly Apartment. Why would they still advertise for this if the ban is looming, or not notified of the possible change by the agent I booked the apartment through!!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

Please read the lengthy discussion that has already been started. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k45133…

Peace,

Balou

Austin, Texas...
1 post
2. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

Yes I heard that to from my friend in London. And I plane on going to Amsterdam for three months from March to June and if so there is no way I will go if that is the case. Lets hope its not one of those things I miss out in.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,431 posts
106 reviews
244 helpful votes
3. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

you will be fine, stop worrying...read the link above

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

Don't worry, be happy.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,601 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
5. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

I have lived here a long time and if there is one thing I have learned about the Dutch they procastinate a LOT.

Do not believe anything about this law coming into effect in Amsterdam especially, until at least 2013, probably much later than that, if ever. And in any case you will still be able to get your blow whatever they do.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

Yeah Ron's gonna be our dealer :o)

Very much doubt the Dutch Government would want to lose all that tax money at the moment seeing the whole of Europe is in meltdown !

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

It's also very likely that in a next governement the Christian parties (CDA, SGP) will have far less influence. So that will mean that these proposed coffeeshop laws will not be taken up.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
63 helpful votes
8. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

Hurrah !!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
136 posts
153 reviews
119 helpful votes
9. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

Here is an article in the Danish newpaper today about new laws going into effect the first of january. Do not know what to expect anymore.

travel-news.co.uk/2361/…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Amsterdam Coffeeshop laws for Jan 2012

This is about coffeeshops in the south of Holland, not in Amsterdam.