We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long should a 70 yr old visit The Netherlands for?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
281 posts
15 reviews
How long should a 70 yr old visit The Netherlands for?

Hi,

I've booked a cruise for my 70 year old mother and her 58 year old husband that departs from Rotterdam and will be travelling the Baltic Capitals including St. Petersburg. The cruise leaves June 14 and gets back on the 26th.

Both of them are interested in visiting the Netherlands. I've been charged with finding things for them to do. I wouldn't call them frail, but I wouldn't call them high energy, either. The husband is over 6 foot and close to 300 lbs, so he's a big guy. No bicycling.

I think a bus tour of Amsterdam (recommendations?) would be a great way to start. They want to see windmills. I suspect the tulips will be done but Mom likes flowers.

Crowds not so much. Peace and tranquility more-so. Some history would be good as well.

I also think Delft might be right up Mom's alley.

Budget isn't really a concern - they're not looking for first class fancy schmancy, but if something is worth seeing they'd spend the money to see it. Mom's husband size means big beds are preferred for hotels but I can check those out separately.

Is it best to be central to Amsterdam and do day trips? Or would it be better to do maybe a three or four day loop to get to Rotterdam (I know it's not far by train). If Amsterdam or Rotterdam are nice and central that might work well since then they wouldn't have to unpack every day. They'd probably prefer to arrive in Rotterdam the day before the cruise.

I'll keep looking on the boards, but if anyone's got a "you really must see this while you're here" idea that would be great. Also, if there are celebrations that should either be seen or avoided because of crowds, that would also be appreciated.

What else? I'm thinking 3-5 days for the visit, not including the days that they're flying.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,203 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: How long should a 70 yr old visit The Netherlands for?

iamsterdam.com/ovroutekaart/ovroutekaart_por…

This interactive map will tell you how to get to places outside Amsterdam. For instance you can easily visit Zaanse Schans by taking a bus (#91) from Centraal Station. Delf by train is also easy. I would say 5 days would be a minimum in Amsterdam especially if they want to visit places outside. Also would not move hotels to Rotterdam as you can be there in 40 minutes by high speed train.

If you are planning their trip for 5days before the cruise then on Friday mornings ther is the cheese market in Aalkmaar which seems to be popular.

I would either do one of the 1 hour cabal boat tours or the HOHO tours http://www.canal.nl/en/ rather than a bus tour which really only goes around the outside of the canal belt. You can also take organized tours outside Amsterdam with one of many tour companies eg Lindberg tours http://www.lindbergh.nl/

All the flower fields will be long gone by then though but still plenty to see otherwise. Since they are going to St. Petersburg they might be interested in the Hermitage museum which houses a permanent exhibition of artifacts from the Winter Palace in a very nice building on the Amstel.

For me also a must see close to there is the Rembrandthuis Museum

By the way I am 6 feet and overr 300 lbs and still cycle everywhere!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: How long should a 70 yr old visit The Netherlands for?

hi -

For sure have them do the 1-hour canal boat - a nice start.

Then Anne Frank House, Van Gogh museum, and anything else that may interest them. See the tab for "Top Questions" to the top right of this board for more ideas - "What can I see and do in Amsterdam".

I'd think 3-4 days should do it, although I've been here for 12 years and I still haven't made a dent in all I'd like to see and do!

Enjoy - MMK

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
281 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: How long should a 70 yr old visit The Netherlands for?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've got some good ideas to start with. Mom is definitely looking forward to the Anne Frank house and they may try the flower auction. They'll do Delft from Rotterdam.

They're looking at about 3 days - they've got the 16 day cruise and don't want to be gone tooooo long.

Thanks again!

London, UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
177 reviews
4. Re: How long should a 70 yr old visit The Netherlands for?

Leiden is quite pretty and I enjoyed Dorecht. You can easily do Delft and Leiden in one day as they are very small places.

5. Re: How long should a 70 yr old visit The Netherlands for?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:46