We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Foxborough...
4 posts
Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

We are attending a wedding in Paris in October and plan to drive out to Amsterdam for a few days after spending some time in Paris. Looking for some insight from anyone who has done the drive. Is is all interstate? Is is a great way to see the country side? Would you recommend it? Any experience good or bad is appreciated.

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Done it more times than I care to remember...now I take the train!

It is highway all the way, but is an unattractive boring drive with no decent landscape; driving through Belgium is particularly boring, though the bad driving habits of the Belgians can keep you on your toes! ;-)

I have to question the wisdom of having a car in Paris and in Amsterdam; you clearly have no idea of how difficult it is to park in either city; let the train take the strain

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Forgot to add that if you end up near Brussels during rush hour, it will take forever to get around the city's ring road and on to Antwerp.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,570 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Unless your car is capable of doing 250mph and you can escape the traffic cops then the train will be a quicker, better option.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Its a boring six hour - without jams - drive. Neither Paris nor Amsterdam are easy to drive in. Parking in Amsterdam is horrendously expensive.

Like the others I'd suggest you think again about driving this.

Foxborough...
4 posts
5. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Thanks everyone! We initially thought to pick up the car in Paris and take off from there but I'm slowly realizing through Travel Advisor and some other research that you guys are 100% correct.

Train it it.... Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

And here is the link for your best train trip: www.thalys.com

Foxborough...
4 posts
7. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Thanks! Is this the "official" train to Amsterdam from Paris? Is it part of Erostar? Are there multiple train companies? Hope this question makes sense?

Also - Can you point out which is the most central station in Paris and in Amsterdam?

Thanks again for your help, don't know what I would do without Travel Advisor = )

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

The main train station in Amsterdam is the Centraal Station; in Paris (like London) there are many options depending on where you are travelling to/from. From here in the north, the main Paris station is Gare du Nord.

The Thalys is the HST (High Speed Train) that connects Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris and elsewhere; I think you will find that Eurostar is a subsidiary of Thalys. No idea what an unofficial train is!! Thomas the Tank Engine??? ;-)

Foxborough...
4 posts
9. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Lol thank you! You have been so helpful! Be back for some more insight

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Driving to Amsterdam from Paris

Stuietoo: clearly you have missed the news about the illegal trains, they are causing more and more problems these days. But new political movements have formed and soon they will all be send home.

For the question, driving from Paris to Amsterdam only makes sense if you want to make multiple stops. While the landscape is boring, there are many nice old towns in between.