We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just curious..

Muntinlupa...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
just curious..

is true that weeds are legal in amsterdam?.

and where can i get those famous spacecakes that would make me giggle like a little girl for two hours?.

my friends and i are planning to go on a vacation 2nd quarter of next year..

any events or holidays we should expect at that time?.

thank you..

ÜÜ....

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: just curious..

Yes, sales of soft drugs for personal use is perfectly legal in the Netherlands.

Any place that is called a "coffeeshop" will sell you soft drugs. Many, though not all, will also sell space cake.

The best guide to where and what they do is here:

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

If you want a coffee rather than drugs you are better off going to a cafe btw.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: just curious..

Brian has already given the excellent link to the coffeeshop guide to Amsterdam; just be careful with space cakes since you do not know in advance how much (or little) it will affect you; take it in a safe place - and you may not just giggle for a couple of hours! ;-0

If you are coming here in Q2, try and be here for 30 April, which is known as Queens Day and which rivals as one of the best parties on the planet.

See: http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,26442,26767,27213,27744&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=queens+day+amsterdam&cp=11&qe=UXVlZW5zIGRheSA&qesig=fGTAoZB1iHAgB2Q5yPLFVg&pkc=AFgZ2tmQEQAcp81SZOivktRdekXbiwXVmj81fo_aHJZTWi4_zULYtCDT8sDq_y6p_TtWUuz0uvMvhM0SHgYyK8PuaX3fZH4ydQ&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=M2TuTK3VA5GXOqvB1bkK&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQsAQwAg&biw=1244&bih=652

and

worldtravelguide.net/amsterdam/queens-day-0

Muntinlupa...
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: just curious..

thanks guys..

i relayed the news to my colleagues and it made them giggle like little girls..

would definitely check that link..

thanks so much..

ÜÜ....

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: just curious..

It's not true that softdrugs are legal in the Netherlands. In fact they are illegal, both sales and possession.

BUT...... the practice now is that there is a practice of non-enforcement so you can buy and smoke it freely

See:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Nethe…

--------------

Cannabis remains a controlled substance in the Netherlands and both possession and production for personal use are still misdemeanors, punishable by fine. Coffee shops are also technically illegal according to the statutes but, as has been said, are flourishing nonetheless. However, a policy of non-enforcement has led to a situation where reliance upon non-enforcement has become common, and because of this the courts have ruled against the government when individual cases were prosecuted.

-----------------

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: just curious..

Yes, very true. Thanks Ger for clarifying the correct position on this matter. ;-)

6. Re: just curious..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2011, 09:46