We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee shops ?

warrington
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Coffee shops ?

Always wanted to go, but never been, but going next week. Anyone any suggestions for a good coffee shop ??

Thanks in anticipation

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
1. Re: Coffee shops ?

browse this link. it has a popular coffee shop section

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Coffee shops ?

Choose a coffeeshop that is not too far away from where you are staying and ask the bud tenderer to see the menu card - or it may be clearly seen on the counter.

If in doubt, simply ask. Buy only 1 gramme or so to start with. Always buy a soft drink if you stay in the coffeeshop to smoke; good manners.

If you are unable to roll a joint ask someone to do it for you or buy one already pre-rolled. It is a very competitive business so service counts. One of my favourite in the city is No.36 on the Warmoesstraat, but much will depend on where you are staying!

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
944 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Coffee shops ?

We just got back from Amsterdam and our two favorites were the Greenhouse (in Thorbecke near Amstel/Rembrandtplein) and the Abraxas.

These two seems to have it going on, friendly service, and they had pre rolled pure haze joints. The Greenhouse also had Chocomel milkshakes and they were delish. I bought lots of grams of different things and rolled it myself but if you don't know how to roll a joint then either get someone to do it for you, or just buy pre-rolled. Much like Stuie said.

One thing, if you want to smoke, make sure the joints are all weed. One rule of thumb, if the joint is less than 5 euro, more than likely it's mixed with tobacco. Always ask. I have never mixed green and tobacco but apparently in Amsterdam it's a big thing.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Coffee shops ?

After numerous visits my favs are:

De Dampkring - there are two outlets. The original (which gets very busy as it was in the Oceans 12 movie) is my favourite with a trippy interior, the newer one on Haarlemmerstraat is nice as well over several levels.

Barneys Uptown is a nice bar / restaurant where you can smoke (they don't sell gear here but byo or use their coffeeshop across the road). Service and food was brilliant & super friendly plus the air filtering was super efficient which makes a nice change. They also have a nice little place Barneys Lounge along Reguliersgracht. They are one of the more expensive places to buy from though.

We found the Rokerij in Leidseplein wandering around one night on my last trip and I loved it ! Nice place to relax at night, great decor, table service and chilled music plus they served alcohol = big win !!

If you stroll along Haarlemmerstraat which is fairly close to Centraal Station you'll find De Dampkring 2, Barneys Lounge & also the Greenhouse which is also recommended.

Ridgewood, New...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Coffee shops ?

also you should look at the hashes, from your post it is hard to tell if you are an experienced smoker or not. Budget wise hashes can be 5-7 Euros a gram. Inexpensive weed is available, and not necessarily bad. Some places have Thai weed at 3 Euros, or the South African the Durban poisen at that level. Most people though tend to look at the famous medicinal type strains. Also you can have a vaporizor at many locations, it should be in that coffeeshop site. Closest to Central station would be the 420 coffeeshop

off of Damrak and Amnesia a little further both with excellent menus.

I am not sure you *have* to buy a drink if you have bought gear there. some places insist but not all. Of course if you are staying a long time you would. I usually get a cup of tea if I am planning to be there a long time, but for just a quick smoke and run there is no need.

6. Re: Coffee shops ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 10:47