We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Amsterdam card question

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I Amsterdam card question

Once again I turn to my fellow experts for some advice, at the beginning of my planning for this trip I was all for buying the I Amsterdam card. I am staying from a Sunday to Friday next week. Now I wont be staying too far away from Central Station (Moevenpick hotel) I am beginning to wonder if its worth purchasing the card?

The public transportation card seems to be 72 hours max, which I would clearly need more and I only have my heart set on seeing 2 museums really (Rijkesmuseum and the Verzetsmuseum)

so can anyone give some advice?

Mentioned in this post
I Amsterdam
I Amsterdam
801 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Amsterdam card question

If you were pruchasing the Iamsterdam card soley for the transportation and a couple of museums then no its not worth it.

Just recently GVB have introduced new cards so you can get one from 24 to 168 hours. You would need a five day ticket which is € 23.00

gvb.nl/english/travellers/tickets-and-fares/…

You could also buy an OV chipkaart and load it up with money or even just get a strippenkaart or two and use those still (although not in the metro).

Mentioned in this post
GVB
GVB
2,597 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I Amsterdam card question

7 day pass...awesome..gvb says these passes good on all "bus, tram, and metros" . so i guess if you have these passes a chipkaart is not needed for metro?..how do you get through turnstiles i wonder.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Amsterdam card question

All the paper cards contan a chip Steve, just like the plastic ones but disposable.

4. Re: I Amsterdam card question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 10:49