We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 1st - August 5th

Florida
10 posts
August 1st - August 5th

I will be making the trip to Amsterdam in early August followed by a trip to Rome. What are some suggestions on things to see / events to attend? The coffee shop is a must, any preferences? I would also like to visit a few historic places or tours. Also, I've gathered from other posts, flying a 1-way trip from Amsterdam to Rome is best on RyanAir? Any help is appreciated.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: August 1st - August 5th

Perhaps best you start by reading the Top Question 'What can I see and do in Amsterdam?' at the top right hand of this page then come back if you have any more specific questions.

Ryanair don't fly from Amsterdam. Their NL base is Eindhoven. You'll have to take the train there then the shuttle bus from the station.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,531 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: August 1st - August 5th

You would be better off looking at Easyjet direct from Amsterdam to Rome for around €50. Cheaper and less hastle than either Ryainair or Transavia

Florida
10 posts
3. Re: August 1st - August 5th

I read the above mentioned posts, thanks. Anyway, I guess I was leaning towards the question if there was anything different going on (or must see) in early September? I've read in the middle of September there is a nice sized conference going on and hotels may be limited, but other than that, when would you prefer, anytime in August through October? We definitely plan on booking the flight within the next week or-so which is why we're trying to narrow our dates down (we are set on early Sept now, preconference). If age matters, we are 27-28 and girlfriends will be left here in the states. We both enjoy different cultures and what they have to offer. Love to see and learn, Florida gets old, trust me.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: August 1st - August 5th

Get a grip!! It's Gay Pride week !! Hurrah!!!

Details: http://www.amsterdamgaypride.nl/

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
5. Re: August 1st - August 5th

do they have a hetero pride week? if so, im there

Florida
10 posts
6. Re: August 1st - August 5th

Luckily we are planning before that starts.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: August 1st - August 5th

Luckily??? I reckon "...we are 27-28 and girlfriends will be left here in the states. We both enjoy different cultures and what they have to offer. " opens up all sorts of possibilities!! ;-) (no pun intended!)

Anyway, I suggest that if you cannot make September, then the weather is kinder here in August than in October, which can be quite chilly; late August/early September would be good and also a good time to see Rome.

Coffeeshops are a personal choice: full details of locations and recommendations of some of the best in the city are here: http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/index.htm

The city is full of historic places - the Hermitage Museum ( http://www.hermitage.nl/en/ ) was opened just last year and is spectacular, while we also have a Handbag and Purse Museum ( www.tassenmuseum.nl/default.aspx… )

Parties and clubs will be in full swing and the Lowlands Festival is on 21/22 August ( http://www.lowlands.nl/english.php ) and Mysteryland is on 28 August ( http://www.mysteryland.nl/2009/english )

As Ron has already noted, best fly to Rome on easyJet (www.easyjet.com) but also look at www.klm.com for convenience and decent fares.

Let us know if you need more info!

Florida
10 posts
8. Re: August 1st - August 5th

Ha Stuie, definitely was not my intentions, though. I chuckled. I suppose I can get away with one more question since I've been looking at hotels. Would you prefer a 3 day minimum condo/apartment or a hotel? I understand some hotels may offer guides, food, ect... but is it worth it compared to a condo?

Florida
10 posts
9. Re: August 1st - August 5th

What type of sporting events does Amsterdam hold in late August - early September (interested in attending myself)? Do you get any American games on at the pubs? I would like to see Amsterdam's atmosphere or if they even care about American sports. Being that I am a fan, I would not mind catching a few college football games myself while socializing with the natives.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: August 1st - August 5th

We don't have condos here; we have apartments. Or canal houseboats is another option. It all depends on what you want.

Generally we don't care at all about American sports, but some Sports Cafes do show 'proper' football, though August is closed season. Pocket billiards are popular all year round, though.