We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trams and trains

Baltimore
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
Trams and trains

I am a bit (a lot) overwhelmed about the fares for the trams and trains. Do you get the Strippenkaart, the IAmsterdam, or the Holland Pass? We will be there for 6 days and I want to get the best price. Where is the best place to transfer your money?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,546 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Trams and trains

Read this and if you still don't understand then ask again.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s303/Amsterda…

The answer to your question also depends on where your accomodation is and how much you like to walk. Perhaps you don't even need to use trams etc if you are centrally located.

The I amsterdam and Holland passes are not really for public transport, they just include the same kinds of tickets you can buy seperately anyway.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Trams and trains

We'll be at the Park Hotel...I think that is centrally located. I love to walk too....

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
252 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Trams and trains

Hello. Your hotel is very close to two of Amsterdam's top attractions - (one minute walk) the Rijks Museum and the van Gogh Museum. Vondelpark is also across the road, and is great to walk around away from the crowds. The number 5 tram also passes the front door of your hotel and makes it way through the city centre, and close to most sites in Amsterdam, to Central Station (10min). The centre of amsterdam is relatively small. A 30 min brisk walk in either direction and you have covered most of amsterdam. You could buy a small strippenkaart for approximately US$9 (15 strips). This is enough for 7 tram rides within the central zone of Amsterdam. You can use all public transport in the central zone for one hour from first punching the card for one zone travel (2 strips). You can head off on foot to most sites and then have the luxury of catching public transport back to your hotel. One strippenkaart should then be enough. I could explain the finer details of strippenkaarts, but it is easier to ask the hotel front desk or simply someone on the tram. Don't be afraid to hassle someone.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,686 posts
4. Re: Trams and trains

you can have conductor or tram driver stamp your strippenkaart..just tell them "one zone"..or you can tackle the yellow stamp machine..fold down 2 strips from the top and stamp the second one..if using for two people fold down 2 more and do the same...or as previous poster says...ask someone to show you...amsterdammers are friendly and glad to help.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Trams and trains

This was VERY helpful..thank you VERY much!!!! :)

Baltimore
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Trams and trains

I totally appreciate all your help! I have never been to Europe only Mexico...thanks!!!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Trams and trains

Ronaldo, for me, the link to the OV chip card info (in the article you linked to) is not working...Is that just me?

It may also be a good idea to provide a link to http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/ in that article btw...

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited: 28 February 2010, 13:45
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,546 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: Trams and trains

Yes Dennis that''s just you, it works on my browser perfectly and anyway you can just look at the Top Questions section where we helfully put links to the articles we write that no-one bothers to read before posting. Clearly even you have not noticed them.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Trams and trains

Hehe, I must admit, it took me a while to find those links :-)

But I was talking to the link in this article: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s303/Amsterda…

Halfway, when you click on http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelHome , nothing happens...

I didn't feel comfortable enough to mess with you guy's FAQ (can I?), so maybe you want to fix that.

Also a clear link to http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/ would be very helpfull imo.

Cheers,

Dennis

Edited: 28 February 2010, 17:28
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,090 posts
229 reviews
10. Re: Trams and trains

Thanks to Dennis, fixed the broken URL and also added the new 9292 link.

Greetings from rainy 'Dam,

<Erik> & [Sandya]