We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American products not available in The Netherlands...

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Topic
American products not available in The Netherlands...

Hello everyone. I apologize for intruding on your board. We're American & are meeting some good friends from Gouda in London in a few days. I want to bring them some small inexpensive items from the US that aren't readily avaialble in the Netherlands - could anyone give me some ideas of American things you wish you could get a hold of? Thank you so much.

Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

In all fairness Ajaxblu: both Amsterdam and London have plenty shops that specialize in goodies for the homesick American. There isn't much that you can bring that wouldn't be available here.

A tip perhaps: products like cosmetics, electronics, and American brand items (Levis jeans say) are considerably more expensive in Europe than in the US.

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

Hello,

Take a look at the link below, its for an expat site for expats based in NL. The link is for part of the forum specifically for Americans, and if I've copied the link right, this should take you to a thread that discusses your question

www.expatica.com/source/forum_thread.asp…

Level Contributor
440 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

Hilarious!

What a bunch of whiners! "the water is not right, the deodorant don't work, please bring me powdered spaggetti (sic) sauce (yuk).

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

lol , dont know whats wrong with the water, its very hi-tech safe water in Amsterdam. I have no hesitation about drinking it straight from the tap. Also mix it with my Whisky !!!!

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

Yeah, if you have some spare time its worth looking around on that board, it can be quite humourous. I don't know why some people moved here, or stay here, if they feel that way

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

Thanks for the link & the information!

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

don't you have tomatoes, onions, basil and garlic in the netherlands? sounds dumb, but I have never been there yet. Who makes sauce from powder?

Seaside Heights...
Level Contributor
417 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

AND, if the water in Texas is anything like the water in Nevada, THAT water just isnt right, even coca cola tastes funny. BUT, I come from New Jersey and we drink spring water that we have delivered because of toxicity. The water in amsterdam couldnt be worse than New Jersey!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
252 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

You could bring some of the special edition Oreos - you can only get regular ones here and it's nice to have a treat.

On Expatica there are a little too many people who can't live outside the US, the more stupid things being imported here include candles, baby milk, cold and flu medication, cooking fat, bread - you think you've heard it all then another one joins in! Then again the Brits are rarely any better.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: American products not available in The Netherlands...

Muzebiz, plenty of tomatoes, onions, basil and garlic available here!