We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam - Rijswijk

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Amsterdam - Rijswijk

I'm flying into Amsterdam for a meeting the following morning in Rijswijk. Can you help with some local info please?

1. Best way to travel from Schipol to Rijswijk ? (and distance/time)

2. Should I book a hotel in Amsterdam or Rijswijk for the overnight stay? I only need somewhere clean, safe, with restaurant (or in vicinity) and wifi...

Thanks in advance!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,097 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

There is a direct train from Schiphol to Rijswijk (the Rotterdam train) every 30 minutes and others with one or two changes.

I would stay in the Den Haag area as it makes no sense to stay miles away in Amsterdam unless you really want to stay there. www.ns.nl for train info.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

hi -

I work in Rijswijk and live in Amsterdam. The best way for my area of Rijswijk is via the train, take it to Holland Spoor Den Haag and the take tram 17 into Rijswijk. But it depends on where in Rijswijk you are heading.

Look at google maps, they show tram lines very clearly.

It will take about 30 min by train but another 15 min or so for the tram.

So give yourself an hour at the least.

No problems to stay in Amsterdam, I do it every evening.

Good luck - MMK

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

I also worked in Rijswijk for a couple of years, often commuting via Schiphol.

Assuming you are visiting Shell, the EPO or one of the many companies in that area MMK is quite right. Take the train to Den Haag HS then tram17 (Direction Wateringen). The tram stop is to your right as you exit the station.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

Your are all most helpful - thank you! I found one or 2 hotels in Den Haag, but they seemed more expensive than the choice in Amsterdam... Will take another look!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

One other little thing. Whilst there are a couple of semi decent hotels in Rijswijk (The Grand Winston and a Bastion) I´d suggest you avoid staying there. Rijswijk itself is a commercial and residential area. It has little to offer the visitor.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
8,295 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

Why not stay in Delft? It is a beautiful old dutch city, and only 4 minutes by train from Rijswijk.

President Clinton visited Delft when he was in Holland. :)

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

I think hotels in my city The Hague wil be cheaper than in Amsterdam. I have found amazing offers for the Eden Babylon next to the central station, at www.booking.com . Search at www.hotelscombined.com and you will surely find great deals.

In Rijswijk The Grand Winston is good but don't take the Bastion. Visitors to the place I work in Rijswijk didn't like it.

Indeed Delft would be great or Eden Babylon for convenient location.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

See http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/ for public transport

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
154 reviews
9. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

I work in Rijswijk and would agree with the previous posters that taking the train to Den Haag Holland Spoor (or Central Station) and then changing to the tram 17 (direction Wateringen) outside the main entrance would be the best way. The Grand Hotel Winston is next door to Shell Rijswijk, has a good seafood restaurant which used to have a Michelin star and is very modern, upmarket, but also very pricey due to the Shell expense budget customers. The area it is in is very uninspiring, a modern concrete high-rise suburb, but there are bars and restaurants open nearby. The Bastion is cheap, think of a Travelodge, Etap or Super 8 motel, but its in an area without any amenities and which is completely dead after 1800.

Tram from the centre of The Hague takes 20-25 minutes in the morning. The Babylon Eden (newly renovated) is next door to Central Station, avoid any hotels near Holland Spoor (a bit rough neighbourhood). The Corona hotel opposite the Binnenhof/Parliament in the centre is 2 minutes walk from a Tram 17 stop.

10. Re: Amsterdam - Rijswijk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 10:02