We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how early to get to Schipol

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
how early to get to Schipol

I have a flight from Amsterdam to Dublin on a Sunday evening at 6 PM (18:00).

What time do you suggest I leave the city center? I plan on taking public transport.

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how early to get to Schipol

You don't say which airline you are using, but if its one of the low-cost ones like Easyjet, then they are very strict about checking in a minimum of 40 minutes before your flight.

Personally I would leave Amsterdam at 4PM for a 6PM flight.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how early to get to Schipol

I'll just add, that I would leave at 4, but I would already have bought my train ticket when I arrived and I know exactly where I need to check in when I arrive at the airport.

Maybe 3/3:30 would be better advice if your unfamiliar!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,133 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how early to get to Schipol

Looks like you are flying on the 1800 Aer Lingus flight. Luckily they still leave from Pier D so you dont have to endure the sometimes scrumb at security by Pier H. Security at D is at the gate itself so as liong as you get there 30 minutes before the departure time you will be ok.

So anyway leaving Amsterdam at 1600 will get you there in plenty of time to get a pint in the Irish bar ad still make the flight.

The airport can be busy on a Sunday as lots of people who are here for the weekend leave then.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
4. Re: how early to get to Schipol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 11:48