We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Indonesian Food

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Best Indonesian Food

I've been reading that there is a great abundance of really good Indonesian food in Amsterdam. Are there any restauants that stand out?

California
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Indonesian Food

Very highly rated, reservations mandatory. See www.tempodoeloerestaurant.nl/en1.htm

Resonable and easy to get in- www.purimas.nl

Cheap luncheon fare- very average to my tastes. The takeout at Kantjil To Go- www.kantjil.nl/intro-2/intro-2.html ...if the luncheon takeout is an indication of the sit down restaurant's food I'd say skip it. I thought it lacked spiceiness and distinct flavors. I'm going for cheap lunch takeout in spite of that. Lunch is in the McDonalds price range- for that I don't expect much.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Indonesian Food

Thanks amsterlarry, look forward to giving those a try. I was reading about the famous "Rijstafel" in a travel guide and didn't realize that this was such an institution when I was there a few years ago. It might have made for a much better culinary experience!

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Indonesian Food

I'll second Puri Mas. We ate there on new years eve and highly recommend it.

Planet, Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Indonesian Food

We ate at Sama Sebo last week and it was excellent! (I consider myself a bit of a serious culinary traveler - taken classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, seek out the genuine, etc.) It was also a relative bargain at 24.50 euros pp for dinner.

Other places we tried were a bit more upmarket (fancier flatware and china), but this seemed like the real thing.