We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area to stay?

UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Area to stay?

Hi,

Last went to Amsterdam 19 years ago lol, coming back for a weekend in September and so far have been shocked at the prices for a city centre hotel.

Last time we stayed at the Park Hotel which was by a famous museum, sorry thats all I remember. It wasn't far from everything, canals, bars, resturants etc etc.

We like to be in the middle of everything lol, can anyone suggest what area would be a good place for us, we are really looking for around £250 for 3 nights but that includes flights so as you can see we don't want to stay at 5* places lol.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Hotel Sebastian's
Hotel Sebastian's
#4 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Mauro Mansion
Mauro Mansion
#5 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
Pillows Anna van den Vondel
#7 of 380 hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area to stay?

I would refer you to the Priceline thread but TA have deleted it. Anyway you can bid for hotel rooms using Priceline's name your pown price feature. Great bargains have been gained. 5* city centre hotels for £40 or so per night. (the NH Amsterdam City Centre for instance. The Park hotel has been recently renovated and is looking very nice by all accounts but not that cheap.

Is £250 your budget per person? So take away £100 for flights and you are looking at around €55- €60 per night. Doable but difficult if you don't use Priceline. Even than its getting into summer season and the hotel prices normally rise.

What about an apartment for the three nights?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam City Tours
Amsterdam City Tours
423 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area to stay?

Sorry I just noticed you are coming in September. When as there is a massive annual conference (IBC) staged here the second/third week. Very bad time to visit as most hotels are booked out well in advance.

UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Area to stay?

Thanks, that explains the high prices then :) I will move my break back or forward a week or two.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,467 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Area to stay?

october is a nice month...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area to stay?

Ron's advice is spot on. Skip the week of the convention. And use PLine.

You say you cannot afford a 5 star? With PL you can't afford not to use PL. 4 and 5 star hotels for less than 1 and 2 stars. Not in relative value. In actual cost.

About $60 USD to start your bidding. (convert to pounds) If need be raise your bid a pound or two at the most for each bid until you have a winner. Late Sept or Oct you should be staying for less than $65 on a winning bid for a 4 or maybe even a 5.

Ask questions if you have any.

Sad. Really sad that that thread is not here for this member to use.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area to stay?

I hope there will be any change to use PL. Otherwise you might consider staying at Hotel Piet Hein. Locked 2 minutes from the Parkhotel. Nice rooms and very friendly staff.

Sometimes they have bargains on their site.....

www.hotelpiethein.nl

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Piet Hein
Hotel Piet Hein
1,103 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Area to stay?

Thanks for the replies guys, had a look at the priceline site, was a bit put off by the fact that I had to give me credit card details before they would accept my bid? How does that work, am I commited once I give my card details, I'm only looking at options at this point.

I will also check out the last hotel mentioned :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area to stay?

With Priceline its not a looking site. Its a buying site. If your bid is accepted you have bought yourself a stay.

They will sell you a very good centrally located hotel in the centrum for far less than you can get any other way. Figure a $270 night hotel for $70.....as one recent winner got.

Now if you must know the name of the hotel first then you will pay for that. And in Amsterdam you will pay a lot.

Figure $270 a night for a $270 hotel.

But you could get a nice 3 star instead. You might pay 2x to 3x more than a 5 star via PL but then you will know the name of your hotel before you book.

Its your money. Spend it as you see fit.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,023 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area to stay?

Don't be put off by Pricline. I was a PL noob before my next trip to the US and I saved hundreds of $$'s using PL thanks to the tips given by John (thanks again John). You have to give your CC because if your bid is accepted then the room is booked and you find out which hotel you have. That's the compromise for getting the room so cheap. After your bid is accepted they will charge your CC and your booking is done but not refundable or changeable.

You can also try Hotwire if you are unsure of the bidding process but savings are not so great as they are with Priceline.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
730 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Area to stay?

Is there any way to choose room type using Priceline?

Or do you accept the smallest room that will accomodate the number of people you enter?