We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear

U.S.
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
What to wear

Hi,

I'll be travelling to Amsterdam the end of this week and am not sure what season to dress for. I checked the temperature forecasts, but that didn't help much. Don't want to have to drag around a jacket all day although I don't want to get caught freezing in the evenings either. Anyone have any advice on how warm or cool it usually is this time of year and what you'd advise to take? Also, I see it's supposed to be pretty casual. Would jeans do to go clubbing in the evening?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear

the key is to dress in layers..amsterdam is a walking city so you will heat up and want to shed layers..it can rain anytime so i would have a lightweight rain resistant coat with a hood..i find an umbrella a pain in the rear end on the crowded streets of the dam. ive been there this time of year and by the afternoon i would be down to my t-shirt. and jeans are fine to go clubbing..amsterdam is most laid back city in the world.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear

The weather has been really nice this week and I was out in shorts and t-shirt this afternoon. Forecast says 19 -20C this weekend (that around 70F) feeling warmer in the sunshine but it gets chilly at night so you will need a light jacket as the night time temps are normally half that of the day.

As Steve says layers.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear

Hi - I'm from San Francisco and we arrived in AMS yesterday morning. If you are familiar w/ SF temperatures, it is very similar (although I hear we are having a bit of a heat wave in SF right now). During the day, I wore a short sleeve shirt and a cardigan (my BF wore a short sleeve shirt and was fine) - it was really sunny and actually I needed sun screen. It was a perfect picture-taking day yesterday. Sometimes when the clouds would cover the sun it got chilly so I was glad for a sweater. At night, I added a light jacket and BF wore a wind breaker over short sleeves. It was a bit chillier at night - I'd guess mid to low 50's F. I think it's supposed to be a bit cloudier today but same temps. This morning has been chilly so I might wear a long sleeve t-shirt today. Have a great trip!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear

Just come naked - everyone here is!!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear

well certainly at given times in Stable Master ! and some areas of Amsterdam Bos .....geoff

U.S.
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear

Thanks for the tips. Actually, I think the naked suggestion sounds best. Would lighten up the packing load. Now that I've been enlightened about the Stable Master, I'll have to change my hotel reservations.

A friend said Meander was a lot of fun. What part of town is it located in?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear

Just an update - It's still gorgeous and sunny but it has gotten chillier since I posted on Tuesday - some people are wearing scarfs and warmer jackets (like a leather jacket) on their morning commutes on their bikes.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear

Sorry to disappoint you, but the Stable Master has been closed these past three years. ;-(

Yesterday was a cool 17 deg C but the north wind made it feel a bit cooler; temperature reckoned to rise by the weekend, however. (hopefuly!! I will be taking tomorrow off work!); you shouldn't need any rain or wet weather gear.

Jeans and tee shirt are perfectly OK for clubbing.

Hope this helps!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear

Sorry, forgot to add...Meander is a very popular student club/bar in the very centre of town.

The address is Voetboogstraat 3, which is a small pedestrian street just off the Kalverstraat near Spui.

Hope this helps!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear

hi stuart , yes it is ! But what confused me about it ( Stable Master ) was a couple of weeks ago I saw some butch looking men in hard hats , no shirts and big mustaches , swing axes and shovels there ... Maybe it was some of the Village People but more likely workmen renovating the place ! lol ..... geoff