We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in centre?

Surrey
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in centre?

Me and a girlfriend are looking to go to Amsterdam in March for 2-3 nights, we want somewhere central and close to bars etc but not fussed about clubs / red light area! We don't want to end up middle nowhere having to pay extra for taxis etc, our budget is low-ish, so looking at about £400 in total for both of us, inc flights...

Have looked at a few deals but not sure where best to stay as some of the reviews say they are far out..my friend has been before but they ended up quite far out from the 'centre'

All advice gratefully appreciated :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in centre?

Suggest that you look for something close to the Leidseplein or the Rembrandplein as these are the two main areas for bars, restaurants and nightlife.

In fact, anything in Amsterdam Centrum will do as the centre of the city is fairly small and easy to walk around.

Check out hotels such as the Eden, Eden Rembrant Square, Schiller, Caransa, Banks Mansion, Armada, Roemer, Park, Marriott, V Fredericksplein, Bridge, Albus Grand, Hotel de Paris, DownTown, Amstelzicht, De Munck - all of which are located near one or other of the two main nightlife areas.

Hope this helps!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in centre?

hi , I can recommend / suggest the following central 2/3* hotels that would probably be within your budget ..all are clean , safe and good value .

A-Train , Frisco Inn , de Koopermoolen , www.hotel-prinshendrik.nl , Nadia and www.hotelcornerhouse.nl

........ geoff

Surrey
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in centre?

Thanks for advice :)

We have booked The Convent, crossed fingers its nice!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in centre?

hi , The Convent ? is that what was Sofitel Amsterdam .... geoff

Surrey
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in centre?

yes :)

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,823 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in centre?

Whilst we are on the subject of changed hotel names I walked past what used to be the Golden Tulip Inntel last week. The ´Inntel´ has now been dropped. It is now simply the Golden Tulip Central.

The hotel which used to be the "Golden Tulip Central" is in Leidseplein. For some years now it has been renamed and is called the NH Amsterdam Center.

Surrey
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in centre?

Just to add, we are back now and the hotel (The Convent) was a really good location and base for getting around, we walked everywhere and didn't need to use any public transport from there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in centre?

if you havent gone yet try the Hotel freeland

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in centre?

late post sorry

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in centre?

Thanks for your report on the Convent; it is a good hotel, I have stayed there myself (when it was the Sofitel) and the location is great; glad that you had a good time here! ;-)