We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship dock during SAIL 2005

Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Cruise ship dock during SAIL 2005

We will be staying in Amsterdam prior to cruise departure on August 20. I understand that SAIL 2005 might mean that the normal dock might need to be changed. Celebrity doesn't know anything about it. They told me that the scheduled dock is Oostelijke Handelskade...Piet Heinksade 27. Is that the one nearest to town, or is it the one about five miles away?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,626 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship dock during SAIL 2005

Hi there,

That address is normal one. Passenger Terminal Amsterdam. Now (recently) even got a tram stop, for one line until Central Station and another even going deeply into town.

During previous Sail's the PTA was used normally also for cruises but I can understand that organisational things force changes. The other one is in the West Harbour and really in the middle of nowhere...

Cheers,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship dock during SAIL 2005

Erik and others,

I heard from someone-(NOT the cruise line)- that the terminal that will be used is twenty or so miles away. Can you tell me how to get there from the city?

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship dock during SAIL 2005

Hello

I think that you have to ask this question to:

Havenbedrijf Amsterdam (port authority)

The side has an English option, and a contact form ?

Good luck ? Vic.

Let me know the result if you like ?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
939 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship dock during SAIL 2005

By the way, are you going on a river cruise? or sea going cruise? (just for my info)

Since a river cruise may not be a problem, since it is going east out of town sea cruises has to go west there is sail mostly

Vic

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship dock during SAIL 2005

If indeed you will be leaving from a port 20 miles away, it's probably the one in IJmuiden (the one that the ferry to Newcastle, England also leaves from), right at the coast.

It wouldn't be a problem to get there: there are regular buses going there and Celebrity will arrange special buses as well, once they realize the situation (only IF your boat can't leave from the PTA of course...).

Don't worry, there is still plenty of time to have things arranged!

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
England
England
United Kingdom