We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

Can anyone tell me if staying in the Jordaan will be convenient if I want to stay in a neighborhood rather than a tourist area but still want to be close to Amsterdam's main attractions?

The friend I'll be traveling with and I are happy to walk almost anywhere and take public transport. But it'd be great to know how far—or close—everything else is so we don't feel as though we're in the middle of nowhere.

You maybe can tell that I've never been to Amsterdam? It could be quite small but I simply don't know.

All advice and hotel recommendations are more than welcome (beyond the reco's already posted, of course).

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,577 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

The Jordaan is a very nice area of Amsterdam and easily reachable from anywhere by foot. Yes the centre of Amsterdam is pretty small especially by New York standards.

Apart from the Stop & Go bus there is no public transport in the Jordan itself as its one of the oldest parts of Amsterdam but you are never more than a five minute walk from a tram line. Also very close to Central Station.

Depending on your budget there are some nice hotels in teh area. The Estherea comes to mind but thats mid to high end.

If you have more specific questions then just ask.

Regards Ron

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

I have no suggestion for a hotel but we stayed in a apartment in the Jordaan that we rented online that was fabulous. It was two bedroom with fully stocked kitchen (hey, just for storing and heating leftovers, keeping your drinks cold, and making coffee in the morning, its great), a small patio and nicely furnish living room with skylights.

We had to walk between two buildings that were just far enough apart to allows us access to get to it, so it was very private even during Queen's Day.

If you decide to stay in the Jordaan you can walk to the Prinsengracht and look for the Opstapper. It is a bus that goes around the city following the Prinsengracht. You can get anywhere from the Prinsengracht. I was there last year, this same time, and it was still running.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,577 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

The opstapper has be renamed Stop/Go bus I guess because its really only visitors which use it so they have given it an English name. Joy of joys :-)

Renting an apartment is a great way to go try stayamsterdam.com or google amsterdam apartments.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

The Estherea - truly lovely hotel that it is - is not to my mind in the Jordaan.

The one hotel there that I have stayed in is the Weichmann - http://www.hotelwiechmann.nl/

I can highly recommend this place. Spotlessly clean, quiet, tastefully furnished. You must be aware though that, as with all hotels that are built from canal houses, the stairs are steep and some of the rooms can be on the small side.

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
5. Re: Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

Thanks to you all. Renting an apartment is a fantastic suggestion, and I appreciate the hotel recommendations as well.

The Jordaan it is. Now it's all about availabilty.

Best and thanks again,

6. Re: Hotels in Jordaan neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 10:58