We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much money to take?!?

uk
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how much money to take?!?

Hi me and my boyfriend are off to amsterdam for 3 nights easter weekend and i am just wondering how much money to take? We are staying bed and breaksfast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how much money to take?!?

Take your ATM card! It's generally cheaper just to get your money out of the hole in the wall. As to how much you'll need, it depends what you do! I wouldn't say Amsterdam is particularly expensive.

uk
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how much money to take?!?

Thanks for your help!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much money to take?!?

Hi Katie

I'm there same weekend, flying out 21st coming back 24th!

My husband and I generally allow approx €150 per day for the two of us. We usually eat a snack at lunchtime (sandwich etc) and then eat out in the evening. We also consume a fair amount of beer at night! So for us €450 (approx. £360).

I have found that sightseeing is relatively cheap and food reasonable however drink prices are very expensive. So if you drink a lot, take more.

Make sure you have your ATM card also in case you run out of money.

Have Fun

Clare

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,876 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much money to take?!?

This is kinda on open ended question, no? Take lots of money and buy all the locals drink.

Perhaps you need to know that 500ml glass of beer will be around 4.40-4.80 euros and a meal in a half decent restaraunt with a bottle of wine around 80 euros for two although you can eat cheaper than than in say chinese places or noodle bars.

England
Level Contributor
146 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much money to take?!?

lots, also depends on what you are doing and what you drink, alcohol is expensive and with the euro being down at the moment you will need a bit more to spend

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,151 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much money to take?!?

But you do not have to spend a lot to eat. This last trip 12 out of 13 days I ate on less than 15 euros a day....and ate well.....of course after that free hotel breakfast.

The one day I splurged for a 25 euro marriott breakfast. But that was for a point thing.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how much money to take?!?

JohnMD what/where did you eat?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much money to take?!?

i see allthe replies fromalot of locals, and ive only been 2 times before, so im no expert,but (lol) i eat very cheap when im there but then again im eating from AH markets and the free breakfastthe hotel provides, but i can go on about 20-30 euro a day for food, then again im not a big drinker.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,585 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how much money to take?!?

new york pizza!!..the breakfast of champions

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much money to take?!?

hi , yes of course its all subjective, as cheap or as expensive as you care to make it.

If I go out for the day and / or night in Amsterdam I usually expect to pay between Euro 40-80 for a main meal with wine. Bar bill/bills around the same .. geoff