We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

Malaysia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

I have 4 days in Amsterdam and would like to have a day trip visiting the cheese & clog factory and also the windmills.

I've heard of Volendam, Edam & Marken. Which of these do you recommend to visit? Is there windmills in any of the mentioned places? How do I get there? Is there a tour to get me there?

Just wondering, is the ladies in Amsterdam still dressed in traditional dutch clothing in the mentioned places?

Thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,999 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

Hi Swuan,

The 3 places mentioned don't have windmills but do have all the other things. And also traditional clothing is worn in their tourist areas.

For Windmills it's best to visit www.zaanseschans.nl, it is withing easy reach of Amsterdam.

Companies like Lindberg and Keytours, with offices in front of Central Station, do offer combined tours to all these places - usually at least Schans, Marken and then either Edam or Volendam which are more or less comparable.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

NL
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

Indeed a tour to Zaanse Schans will be best for you. You will see it all there.

Either by tour or take a train to Koog-Zaandijk and walk 10 minutes to zaanse Schans.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
107 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

Definitely Zaanse Schans for the windmills. As far as Marken, I wasn't that impressed by it. Especially since you are only going to be there 4 days - I would try and see other areas. Really depends on what you are into, there are some really nice castles, Amsterdam of course,

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

In March I went on Mike's Bike Tours who took us to both a cheese & clog factory and to see a windmill. The tour was awesome, they provide the bike to you and take you around Amsterdam. It was fairly inexpensive and plan for a good portion of the day.

Manchester
Level Contributor
71 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

I've just got back from Amsterdam and I'd recommed Zaanse Schans if you want to see working windmills; you can even go inside and climb to the top. They also have cheese shops and as It's only four stops from Centraal it won't take you long to get there.

From the train station follow the signs for Zaansche Museum, not Zaansche Schans, or you'll have a twenty-minute walk and end up back where you started! The information sign advises that you go to the main entrance and buy a ticket for the attractions, but there is no need, you can walk round for free and pay at the door to any attraction you want to go to and in some of the shops the women wear the traditional dress.

Marken is just a small, pretty village and from here you can get the ferry to Volendam which has a small harbour and some shops and restaurants; worth a visit, but not top of the list.

6. Re: Amsterdam - cheese & clog factory, windmills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 03:47