We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

New Paltz, New York
13 posts
Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

I am traveling with my 16 year old grandson for one week in Amsterdam. I plan to buy a return train ticket to and from the airport and then a chip card for travel in Amsterdam. Is this the best transportation plan as we will be spending 3 days outside of Amsterdam? We are staying in a houseboat on the Prinzengracht.

We would love advice and ideas about our potential itinerary.

Arrive Friday 4/12/19 early morning: Pancake breakfast; canal cruise and hop on bus for overview.

Saturday: More pancakes; Free City Walk tour; Free Alternative Tour; Concert at night

Sunday: Pedal boat on the canal; Ann Frank & Van Gogh museum; Fondue at night

Monday: Zaanse & Harlem(kayaking canal tour)

Tuesday: The Hague & Delft

Wednesday: Kerkenhof

Thursday: Amesterdam: Foodhallen; Street Art; Indonesian food

I would welcome other ideas for Amsterdam and the surrounding areas that would fit in our schedule without being rushed.

Friday: Return to NY

10 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

The 'free' walking tours aren't free. They're an extortion scheme and a tax evasion scheme. I wouldn't encourage any tourists to take them.

Pancakes aren't a breakfast thing here and most pancake restaurants only open around lunch time I think.

Skip the hop on hop off bus. It's a ride around the centre of Amsterdam and you'll see nothing of waht Amsterdam is famous for.

Book your AFH tickets exactly 2 months in advance. If you miss those buy them on the day online. It's not possible to buy them on site.

For travel within Amsterdam you can either walk or use the trams. I don't recommend getting an OV chip card. Either get the ATT (which covers the train from the airport to the center and all public transport within Amsterdam) or a GVB card which covers all public transport by the GVB, who run the trams and metro's in Amsterdam. It doesn't cover transport to and from the airport though unless you use the slooowwwwww bus 69.

For The Hague and Delft day buy a day return to Delft. You can use it to sop off at The Hague.

For ZS buy a day return.

All train tickets can be purchased in advance through the NS app.

For the Keukenhof get yourself to the aipport and get on bus 858 there. Buy a combi ticket for this through www.discoverholland.com

Additional things in Amsterdam are of course a walk through the RLD, visit the Albert Cuyp market, the eye movie museum can be fun.

Edited: 20 January 2019, 23:23
New Paltz, New York
13 posts
2. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

Thank you so much this was so helpful. But what is RLD?

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
1 review
3. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

Red Light District.

Dont worry, you wont see more than what you see on a beach.

Europe
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
4. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

Pancake places will be open for breakfast. You won't find any locals there as pancakes are not a breakfast thing, but tourists love having them for breakfast especially Americans.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,497 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
5. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

I have never seen dildo's and other sex toys in beach shop windows tbh ;-)

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
1 review
6. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

You might also consider the ARTT for Zaanse Schans and Keukenhof which can be done both in one day, unless you're a big flower fan.

But it all depends on cost of whether you find out if you need transportation in the city or not.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

On the other hand I see way more skin on an average beach day than in the RLD...

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
1 review
8. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

Sigh,

I was only trying to go with the flow in this forum of playing down the RLD as a den of sin.

Dont let it deter you, OP. The RLD is in the oldest part of town with the iconic Old Church and Our Lord in the Attic church.

There is also our own Chinatown next to it consisting of two whole streets.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
1 review
9. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

Well Lionheart,

I see more white, hairy, beerbellied skin in the RLD

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
19,496 posts
17 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old

I’d suggest a few things.

Don’t try to over plan one of the great joys for most of us is the aimless walking of the streets or sitting and having a coffee and watch Amsterdam go by . Save some time for doing nothing.

Make sure you try a FEBO.

And I’d suggest if you want to try something else very Dutch to eat consider a ricetable. That will also check off Indonesian food on your list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel

Good for you on my bucket list is a trip,or two with grandkids.

Edited: 21 January 2019, 01:46
Reply to: Amsterdam Itinerary advice for traveling with 16 year old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted