We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
37 helpful votes
Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

Hi!

I was watching hours of youtube travel videos last night on prep for our March 27-30 stay. We are staying at NH Doelen (I visited last year and stayed at Hotel Sebestian so I am somewhat familiar with that neighborhood). Anyway, I am trying to plan food recommendations and saw in one of the videos a pork sandwich with peanut sauce but I couldn’t tell where One gets this at a stall? Are these all over Amsterdam? The market? The Food Hall? Also, will most fry stalls sell peanut sauce too? I tried the herring, kibbeling, poffertjies, stroop waffles and pancakes last time so I am looking for new things to add.

Thank you!

Amy

6 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,499 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
1. Re: Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

If you have been recently you will know that there is not a big street kitchen market here apart from the odd Haring or frites stalls. I would say that chicken satay is much more common than pork and dunno about pork satay sandwiches. ostly any place that sells fries will have satay and other sauces to go on the side.

Did you mean this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lml8LOULAlA ? Not with Satay but the pork sandwich from the Foodhallen Rough Kitchen looks amazing.

Indonesia is a big Muslim country as is lots of SE Asia so pork is a no no but just checking Kantjil and Tiger have pork satay on the menu so I suppose it is available, just not as common in NL. Actually, sadly, pork in general is not that well a regarded meat in NL. Try getting decent bacon and sausage or a pork roasting joint.

Europe
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
2. Re: Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

Indonesia has plenty traditional pork dishes, mostly from Bali, although a sandwich with peanut sauce is not one of them.

Peanut sauce can be used in combination with many types of fast food/street food. The combination of a pork and peanut sauce sandwich will be most commonly sold under the name "broodje warm vlees".

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,990 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

Een broodje beenham is pretty common, but I've not ever tried it with satay sauce.

If you're in town on a Sunday, check out the Sunday Markt. They always have a bunch of tasty food stalls. They won't have what you describe, but you might be able to concoct one.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
1 review
4. Re: Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

I wouldn't say Indonesia (Bali is a sole positive note) and Malaysia is " lots of SE Asia"

This is a broodje warm vlees. It doesn't look much, but its delicious.

https://bit.ly/2FEHdaC

and this is a broodje varkenshaas sate

https://bit.ly/2FH9PAr

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
11,990 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

That first one is what I was imagining.

The second one reminds me that Walter's on Javastraat has a delicious broodje rendang.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
37 helpful votes
6. Re: Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?

You all are the best! It was the broodje warm vlees that I saw! I will make a plan to try and find one in Amsterdam and am excited to try peanut sauce on my fries as well. Thank you all so much—such great answers and advice on this thread!

Reply to: Pork sandwich with peanut sauce?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted