We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
34 helpful votes
Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

After going over and over accomodation options for 2 adults and 1 child for late June 2019 for 3 nights, I've narrowed it down to the Ibis Amsterdam Centre and Mecure Hotel Amsterdam City. Two very different locations so Im torn and looking for recommendations on either. I have been to Amsterdam before but in my 20's hostel hopping days. But first visit for my partner and child. Looking to sightsee and enjoy the canals, museums and food for three days.

I know this question gets asked alot but really stuck on which one to choose, so hoping the TA brains trust might be able to point the way.

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65,846 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
1. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

The Mercure on Joan Muyskenweg is in middle of nowhere (industrial area) with metro stop at 10 mins walk. So if you want it quiet in the evenings...

Ibis is smack in city centre.

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
34 helpful votes
2. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

Thankyou for replying.

My apologies I got my Mecures mixed up, I meant the Mecure Amsterdam Centre Canel District. It seems to be in a nice area a bit out of the centre but closer to the museum's. I was wondering if this was a better family environment versus rught near the train station.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
65,846 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
3. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

Yes this Mercure is better. Close to Vijzelgracht metro station. No great views (as it's between canals) but quiet area; little Erik survived around the corner at Keizersgracht for some years so hey can't be that bad ;-)

< Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,632 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
4. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

Of the two that Mercure is far the better hotel. Does it have to be a choice between them, are you on Accor points, or are you open to other suggestion? If so then post your exact dates and upper budget in euros and we can make some suggestions

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
34 helpful votes
5. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

Thankyou. Not on points, but need a hotel that offers a triple share and a lift. I have mobility issues and can't manage more that 1 flight of stairs, which seems to be a bit of an issue in Amsterdam!

Im looking from 25-28 June and up to 250-300euros a night.

Any recommendations very gratefully received.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,632 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
6. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

How old is the child?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,632 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
7. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

Motel-One at The Waterlooplein is only €609 for 4 nights incl. breakfast. There is not an option to add a child online but from previous threads all you need to do is call the hotel. Not sure if they charge any extra per child or not. If you don't mind staying a bit outside the centre but with a Metrotram/train station right outside, then they have another property at the Rai.

Another option is the Ramada. they have a triple for only €170 per night https:/… .or a triple at the Couture at under €200 pn http://tinyurl.com/yb8okjb4

The Manor in the east part of the city is also a very good 4*. just over €200 per night and that includes breakfast and all taxes so a great deal http://tinyurl.com/y7ef7zzz

For a bit more space and the ability to cook your own meals check out the Yays apartments . The one at the Ostenburgergracht has an elevator to the upper floors. http://tinyurl.com/y9w8s7uf

They also have other properties including ground floor ones with canal side decks.

In general most 3* plus hotels will have elevators but there are exceptions. All 4* plus will have lifts.

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
77 reviews
34 helpful votes
8. Re: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations

Wow. Thankyou. I will dig a littler deeper in the ones you suggested.

Edited: 21 January 2019, 02:07
Reply to: Mecure vs Ibis, looking for recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted