We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

Arlington, VA
8 posts
1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

My 11 yo daughter and I will be flying back to the States from Amsterdam in April. We'll only have a half day in Amsterdam, arriving by train from Germany around mid-day Thursday, leaving for the first leg of our US-bound trip at 11 a.m. Friday.

I'm trying to decide between two options:

1. Get a hotel near the airport, drop off our luggage and head into the city for the evening, so that our Friday morning departure is simpler.

2. Get a hotel in the city to have more time touring on Thursday afternoon, but have more of a hassle getting to the airport on Friday morning.

I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Thanks!

13 replies to this topic
Delft, The...
Level Contributor
256 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

It's a commonly asked question, everyone should answer this to himself:

-Price of hotels

-Travel times (check Google travel, ns.nl/en or 9292)

-Travel prices

-The suburb where you want to spend a night: do you want to have a lively city atmosphere at midnight outside or a sterile airport atmosphere.

Everyone is different, can't really make this choice for you. I would stay in the city, but it really depends on you.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
12,042 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

You're going to be staying in a world class city. Staying near Schiphol would be like staying at a Sheraton near Dulles. Do yourself a favor and stay in the city center. We have some experts that may be able to help you. The thing is you're staying during an expensive time. To get help provide the date and your upper end budget and be patient.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Arlington, VA
8 posts
3. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

Thanks for the reply. We'd need a hotel on Thursday, April 18, departing on Friday, April 19. Besides visiting the Anne Frank House, our only goal would be to walk around to enjoy the city and canals. Anything in a safe neighborhood with relatively easy access to the train station would be good. Target rate would be $200 or less.

Thanks!

Arlington, VA
8 posts
4. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

Sorry, I meant to say target under $300.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

Just so you do not get disappointed, you will need to get timed tickets to visit Anne Frank. Any central location is safe. The trip to the airport is so simple that staying in the city is the best choice.

Assam, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

I would recommend staying in the city if this is your first trip to Amsterdam. There are a few hotels very near the Centraal Station which you can consider. Centraal is a very convenient transport hub, also next to the city center.

If you are planning to visit the Anne Frank House, check out the official website for online booking. Tickets are not available offline and also the timed slots get booked many weeks in advance. If you so wish you can combine the visit to Anne Frank House with a one hour canal cruise as there is a jetty just next to the Anne Frank House from where you can board a boat.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,253 posts
171 reviews
7. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

Since you have a fairly decent budget, go to sites like Booking.com to help you sort things out. Unless you have an extremely early flight, it's best to stay at city center. It doesn't take a long time to go back to the airport.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,789 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

Hotel Vondel has a double from €153pn. There is no real need to stay near the train station. Fromm the Vondel you can take the 397 bus to the airport. The excellent American Hotel right by the Leidseplein is €190pn.

If you do want to stay by the station then The Ibis is practically on one of the platforms. €155pn.

If you wanted to go cheaper then consider a room at the Motel One out by the Rai. €104 per night. There is a train station right next door with trains only 2 stops from the airport and a metro station right there also and tram 4. So basically a transport hub to get anywhere in Amsterdam. Depending where in Germany you are coming from you can also change at Duivendrecht and get a train direct to the Rai from there.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
221 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

We arrive on a Friday afternoon and fly out Sunday morning 11 am and had decided to stay at the Hyatt Place Amsterdam airport given we had an early? flight. Ronaldo's suggestion of Motel One by Rai looks great with the ease of transportation (10 mins to airport and city centre) so think we will look to change and stay there.

Thanks Ronaldo.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,947 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?

$267 usd plus tax

$176 usd plus tax

The first is likely amsterdams most famous and iconic hotel the Krasnapolsky. A recently redone five star located right on dam sq. I had a delightful stay last trip.

The second is the Nh Amsterdam Center. It’s not the kras but it’s a very good solid four star in a perfect location.

Steps from the action, the major museums, vondelpark, and from the 397 bus stop that will take you back to the airport. I have had several good stays here.

One night , stay as central as you can , make good use of every minute

Reply to: 1 night hotel before int'l flight - Airport or City Centre?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted