We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

Thoughts on driving from Amsterdam to Paris. I would like to stop in Bruges/Brussels and Paris. The train tickets seem expensive (237) one person compared to a car rental for the same price.

All suggestions welcomed.

21 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

“The train tickets seem expensive (237) one person ”

Where did you see those prices? And when do you plan to travel? Train tickets from Amsterdam to Paris start at €35 and become more expensive as the travel date nearers.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

Thank you for the response. I was looking online for travel nov 24. The high price may be due to such short notice. If the tickets were 35 euro I would def take the train. Maybe I’m lookjjg in the wrong websites.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
554 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

1. You don’t want to drive in A’dam

2. You don’t want to drive in Paris

3. You don’t want drive via Antwerp (but you must)

4. Check european gasoil prices

5. Direct Train is 3 hours, car 5 hours (excl the above)

6. Brussels is not worth it

7. Bruges: consider an overnight, combine with Ghent or Antwerp. By train :-)

Edited: 14 November 2018, 13:27
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
554 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

8. Check French highway-toll

9. Trains go from centre to centre (or very near)

Edited: 14 November 2018, 13:34
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

“Maybe I’m lookjjg in the wrong websites.”

I’m afraid you are indeed looking at sites of 3rd party train ticket resellers, because the highest price I see on the official website of Thalys for that date is €135.

Remember this for the rest of your life; the ONLY place you should ever book train tickets is on the official website of the company that actually runs the train. In case of Thalys trains, that is https://www.thalys.com

You can also book Thalys trains on the official websites of the Dutch and Belgian railway companies https://www.nsinternational.nl/en or https://www.b-europe.com/EN

All other websites should be avoided like the plague.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 13:39
Europe
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
6. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

If you're thinking about a one way rental; someone's going to have to drive that Dutch licensed car back to the Netherlands for you, and that's going to cost you. (also the tolls to drive back)

Edited: 14 November 2018, 14:24
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,849 posts
81 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

If you are planning on doing this one way then the drop off fee will be about €300 - €400. The drive is slow and tedious. Tolls and fuel will be about €65 and it will take circa 6 to 8 hours depending on traffic.

As said parking ;-(. https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Routes will show you routes and also cost.

You don't say if you want to do this in one day or over 2 or three days but honestly take the train. If you were looking to drive to save money then that likely won't work.

You can get to Paris stress free on the 24th in 3h30 for €130 in 1st class on the Thalys. Or take the IC train to Brussels for €33. Stop over there and have lunch maybe then catch the 16:17 Thalys to Paris for €51 so in total €84.

Or take the bus all the way. Flixbus, Ouibus etc.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

Thank you everyone for your responses. They are extremely helpful. You all went above and beyond in providing thoughtful responses. I was planning to drive rountrip over 7 days but now I’m reconsidering the option. I just returned from driving in Ireland which was much easier than the roads you all have described.

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
269 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

There's somehow always a bias here in favour of Thalys.

Thalys costs you about 135 euro for 3:15-3:45 hours (Amsterdam Centraal -> Paris Gare du Nord). For this price, you can travel Comfort 1 Premium and get a big comfortable seat and a free meal.

The bus costs you about 15-20 euro for 6:30-8:00 hours (bus stops at some metro/tram station outside the center). Ouibus operates 14 direct busses that day, Flixbus 8 and Eurolines 8. Often with USB ports, power sockets etc, a bit like an economy airline seat.

If the 120 euro extra is worth the faster and more comfortable Thalys, is up to you. But I would choose the bus with that price difference.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
10. Re: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

30 buses per day times 50 times 360 = over Half a Million People a year take that option to go to Paris from Amsterdam.

Most of them do not visit our forum.

Reply to: Driving from Amsterdam to Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted