We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something special to do for a birthday

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Something special to do for a birthday

Hi my husband is 45 during our weekend stay in Amsterdam (Nov 22nd to 25th) we are visiting with our 16 year old daughter, we visit every year but I would like to try and book/do/eat/drink something a little special do you have any suggestions?, we like pretty much anything so we are open to ideas. We like to visit areas quite close so any ideas would be good so that I can arrange it as a bit of a surprise ... thanks

7 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,789 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Something special to do for a birthday

>>We like to visit areas quite close<< Close to where?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
18,947 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Something special to do for a birthday

I can still vaguely remember , it has been decades, what I would have very much enjoyed for my 45th birthday while in Amsterdam with the Mrs.

This being a family friendly PG forum that is the end of my story :-)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Something special to do for a birthday

Close to Amsterdam, a day out a train ride away,

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Something special to do for a birthday

I nearly said in my original post keep it family friendly 😊

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
5. Re: Something special to do for a birthday

Go to Utrecht in the morning, climb the Dom-toren and enjoy the scenery, then take a bus to outskirts, and do skydiving (indoor of course in this weather) first then visit either Kasteel-de-Haar or a nearby small picturesque towns (like woerden, montfoort etc.) for lunch, come back, do some shopping at the huge shopping mall of Utrecht named Hoog Catherijne and spend some time in a nearby wine-bar or beer-pub and then have a nice dinner at Utrecht city center at cosy restaurants in the canal levels, before returning all the way to Amsterdam.

Well - don't know how and what would be really special for you all. This was just a random combination of things to do near Utrecht for example. (requires commuting times trains and buses - you could rent a car for a day also).

Edited: 14 November 2018, 14:41
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Something special to do for a birthday

Thank you I like the sound of Utrecht, once there is it easy to catch buses to one of the places you have suggested ?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
7. Re: Something special to do for a birthday

Yes very easy to use buses except they don’t take cash anymore so you will need to pay using cards. Or you should actually buy the day card at Utrecht Centraal train station at OV service center and that would work on all buses.

You should check on 9292.nl for bus numbers. I think bus 37 goes from central station to skydiving place. Again point to point bus routes and timing for all your journeys will be on that website and also on google maps.

Need addresses? Ask or google.

Reply to: Something special to do for a birthday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted