We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

Level Contributor
547 posts
83 reviews
Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

We are flying into Amsterdam in December but most of our trip will be in Germany. We were originally going to take the train from the airport to Koeln, rent the car after a couple of days there, and then drive to our next destination before returning to Koeln at the end of the week. We'd then take the train back to Amsterdam.

But as our plans evolve, we're thinking we'd rather just rent the car in Amsterdam and drive into Germany. In December, cars in Germany are required to have winter tires. I'm not seeing anything about this for the Netherlands. I'm looking at Hertz, Enterprise and Europcar and am not finding this info in their quotes for rental from Amsterdam. Will their cars have winter tires or is this an add-on with an additional charge? I'd rather not take an ICE train with full-sized luggage...

Thanks!

17 replies to this topic
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

Your best bet to get proper information is probably to email the rental companies direct.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

There's also the requirement for the "Feinstaubplakette" (aka the "Umweltplakette"), the environmental sticker that cars need to have in order to enter a lot of German cities. Ask the rental company.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

And depending on where in Germany you want to go snowchains might be mandatory too.

Where in Germany are you exactly going?

Europe
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
4. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

I'd say it's a safe bet they won't have winter or all season tyres. Rental cars usually get sold again even before the first set of tyres has worn out, so adding a set of winter tyres to the equipment would undermine competitiveness. In Germany for that reason I presume most rentals will come with all season tyres, which is legally adequate for winters.

Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

Due to the recent rule change in Germany not all 4 season tyres are valid anymore. They have to have the alpine symbol too. Be very sure to check that.

While there is some time for everyone to change their tyres it only applies to tyres produced before 32st of December 2017.all tyres produced after that have to have the alpine symbol.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,541 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

>> I'd rather not take an ICE train with full-sized luggage...<<

Why? Thousands do so every day without issue and it will be quicker. Seems the easiest solution to me. Rental companies won't put winter tyres on in a country that does not require them. That would be financially stupid.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

Rental companies do offer winter tires on their vehicles - but you pay extra (10-20 euro per day) and you have to ask. Europcar specifies on their (Dutch-language) website that they can provide some of their cars with "all season tires approved for countries like Germany" - but you have to reserve by telephone.

https:/…winterbanden

https:/…

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
142 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

Also make sure your company actually allows travel outside the country.

Most rentals have specific conditions and requirements for travel outside of the Netherlands.

Level Contributor
547 posts
83 reviews
9. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

Thanks for all the responses. The U.S. reps for the rental car companies rarely understand the rules and what's offered in Europe, so I will have to contact the Europe locations directly.

We'll be in Koeln, Mainz, Stuttgart and areas in between. Every time we've rented cars in Germany in winter, they come with the winter tires. If they won't in NL, then I guess we'll have to deal with the train.

Why not the train? I am disabled from a chronic pain condition and dealing with luggage is challenging. In late June, simply pushing my wheeled spinner luggage up a ramp in an airport triggered severe tendinitis in my wrist, which has only just now calmed down. We will be returning with quite a bit of wine and our luggage will be a lot heavier on the return trip. And because of my mobility issues, we always rent a car in Europe because there are times I cannot manage the walk to and from train stations, up stairs, etc. :-(

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,906 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!

<Koeln, Mainz, Stuttgart and areas in between>

Those areas will not be much different than driving in The Netherlands snow wise.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness"--Mark Twain

Reply to: Will Amsterdam rental car have winter tires? Germany-bound!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted